• Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Retired

RVF VIP
Fulltimer
No
What is up with Ford?

I was on my local lot this weekend looking at Superdutys. I have bought a bunch of new Fords from this dealer and have always been happy.

As I looked at the window stickers I found that the person who decides how to equip these trucks isnt a truck person.

A Superduty is most likely being bought to haul or tow with, not a soccer mom haulling the kids around or a yuppie going to Starbucks for a latte.

Why would you put a $405 sliding rear window in and instead put the $160 upgrade front springs and rear sway bar and the $280 power folding mirrors?

Why would you put the $2995 XLT premium package in and not the $1655 trailer tow camara system and backup assist? The 360 camara is a lot more useful than heated seats in the market where the truck is being sold.

Also every Superduty on the lots within 50 miles of me are 4x4s. I like a 4x4 but have no need for one. I can order a F250/F350 gasser and nicely equip it for towing a TT or 5er for less than 50k. I cant buy that truck off the lot because the dealer will not order one.

Better than the person who doesnt equip an entire lot of Superdutys for towing. Most of them had a 3.31 gear, a couple of them had 3.55s.

Better than the person who doesnt equip an entire lot of Superdutys for towing. Most of them had a 3.31 gear, a couple of them had 3.55s.
What I was saying is you know the kind.

Simple reasons.

You’ve already guessed the first one. The person making the orders doesn’t know the difference between a Super Duty and a Ranger.

The second reason is a bit more cynical - there’s a sucker born every minute.

The profit margin on new car sales is slim. To make it worse, semiconductor chip supply shortages are severely impacting manufacturing. New vehicles use many of these chips in their multiple onboard computers and the inability of manufacturers to get enough of them to keep their lines running is reducing available inventory.

So supply is thin and margins are slim. As a dealer’s buyer, why spec and order a $50k truck that gets the job done at the lowest possible cost and nets me an $800 profit when I can spec and order a $80k truck (that might or might not) and nets me a $1300 profit? Both trucks will sell because supply is thin and again, for every guy like you that knows what he wants and needs, there’s three people who think they just need duals to haul that 45’ 5er.

Ha! My friend that is where you are somewhat wrong. Let me explain. Over two decades ago I noticed trucks getting crazy expensive and more soccer moms and wanna be new age yuppies wanting big 4WD things. I was in the market for a car at the time and asked a buddy of mine who also worked for another buddy who owned and still does a Ford dealership. He laughed at me and said almost verbatim.......WOMEN! He said instead of moms getting vans and such which made better sense, they were either coerced or encouraged by their husbands to get big SUV’s and 4WD trucks. He wasn’t being sexist, just stating fact. He stated manufacturers like Ford and Chevy saw the demographic < hence why companies send out these surveys, and knew they could jack prices up and people would pay!

So there you go, today they spec lot models for such things. I had to buy one such thing due to Covid and I didn’t have up to several months for a truck of my building to come in. So I got as close as I could to what I needed. I was fortunate my truck had all I needed minus a few things. But no deal breaker.

So, I am sure they look at the majority of what sales and compare the stats to decide how to order to place on the lot. It blows I know. But it is what it is.....so the next time you see the petite little female who needs a step ladder to get out of her very large Suburban with her two at most kids, just smile and say, “Thank you”. She would be better suited for a Odyssey or Sienna van. But this is America folks.

Look, all I want is a 2wd Ford F-250 single cab Xl. I don’t care if it doesn’t have a radio. Truck prices have increased between $2000-$3000 since the pandemic, there is a shortage and the used prices are goin up as well. Most of the trucks I see have too many unnecessary features. I want a farm truck, give me a single cap and an 8’ bed and I’m satisfied. I can’t believe what trucks have been selling for, even high mileage diesel trucks. They are the new mini van with the quad cabs. I want a no nonsense pulling truck, I don’t need Escalade grade interior or televisions in the backs of the seats. I have met people that have a negative net worth that buy a 60k pickup for their job, where they don’t use it ever. And to my surprise the truck I want virtually doesn’t exist, I really don’t see how people spend 40,000 on a truck. It’s crazy.

Last edited:
Starting around the middle of January I began looking at dealer stock for a new F350 (while I waited for my Newmar to sell). I had to extend my search parameters out 100 miles to even get 5 or 6 possible F350s equipped the way I wanted. I kept checking online every week and some weeks there were maybe up to 6 or 7, some weeks 1 or 2.

The day after our coach sold I drove to a dealer 45 miles away because he had 3 equipped the exact same, just different colors. These 3 were about the only non-soccer mom trucks around (6.7 diesel, 4:10 gear, 48 gallon fuel tank, max payload package).

Anyway, in discussion with two different dealers they both said the same thing. Due to covid there were certain parts from China that the factories could not get, or at least get enough of. During 2021 Ford was constantly shifting truck models on the line due to these shortages. The dealer I bought from said he stayed away from ordering King Ranch packages and other top end trucks and instead kept orders in for XLs, XLTs, and as many XLs with the added STX package. Mine is the STX package with all the towing and payload bells and whistles.

Look, all I want is a 2wd Ford F-250 single cab Xl. I don’t care if it doesn’t have a radio. Truck prices have increased between $2000-$3000 since the pandemic, there is a shortage and the used prices are goin up as well. Most of the trucks I see have too many unnecessary features. I want a farm truck, give me a single cap and an 8’ bed and I’m satisfied. I can’t believe what trucks have been selling for, even high mileage diesel trucks. They are the new mini van with the quad cabs. I want a no nonsense pulling truck, I don’t need Escalade grade interior or televisions in the backs of the seats. I have met people that have a negative net worth that buy a 60k pickup for their job, where they don’t use it ever. And to my surprise the truck I want virtually doesn’t exist, I really don’t see how people spend 40,000 on a truck. It’s crazy.
Good luck. Dealers use to keep a few so-called stripped down “work trucks” with vinyl seating, manual roll down windows and non-carpeted floors for such people not needing frills and glitter. Toyota dealer laughed at a friend of mine trying to get one.....they said, yeah, we use to carry a few Tundras like that but there was not real money in it!

Good luck. Dealers use to keep a few so-called stripped down “work trucks” with vinyl seating, manual roll down windows and non-carpeted floors for such people not needing frills and glitter. Toyota dealer laughed at a friend of mine trying to get one.....they said, yeah, we use to carry a few Tundras like that but there was not real money in it!
But you may be able to order it. RAMs truck is the tradesman. Even those on the lot were loaded with extra packages on the lot when I was looking, but still the tradesman has less at base.

Latest resources

Back