Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
This morning, the refrigerator and microwave started doing some strange things. I checked the Silverleaf panel and found a yellow "Battery" light. Then, as I was watching, it turned to a red "Inverter Fault" light. Looking at the house battery voltage, it was...yikes...11.4V. And, the battery charger mode showed "Standby" and could not be changed.

Called Newmar and, after a bit of a wait, spoke with Bruce. He walked me through the soft reset procedure, but that did resolve the battery charger issue. Then he had me locate the inverter...between the frame rails, accessed through the pass-through bay. Not all that easy to cram this old body into that space, but we managed.

Sure enough, one of the 20A breakers was popped up. Resetting it restored everything to normal. I was a bit surprised to see that the charger (now in bulk mode) was cramming 150A into the batteries. Didn't take to long to bring them back up to 13.8V.

So, another learning moment for the Ol' Dinosaur!

TJ

Last edited:
Dear Dinosaur,

Glad you got that straightened out. We could have helped you, no need to put dimes in the payphone which I know you have in your coach to call Newmar :) Remember the @MapNerd saga and we all bought fuses :) Now ease up on your curling iron while Lady Di is cooking :)

Now ease up on your curling iron while Lady Di is cooking.
If you can find anything to curl on this ol' noggin, I'd be delighted!

Funny that you mention a curling iron, however. We had our daughter and granddaughter stay in the coach with us for four days and they left this morning. After getting the inverter reset all sorted out, LadyDi casually mentioned that our daughter had used a curling iron just before they headed out. "Could that have affected the inverter?"

Not quite sure how all these might be related, but LadyDi was using the induction stovetop at the same time as the curling iron was in use. And, I think, our granddaughter fired up the coffee maker. Since the offending party had escaped before being questionned by her dad, I have no idea of the wattage draw on the curling iron, but have a STRONG suspicion that it was probably the culprit...along with the induction stove and coffee maker.

TJ

Yep, that'll do it. Too many things, same as @MapNerd's situation. You're lucky you didn't fry your fuse.

I have the same thing going on but the reset didnt work. Any idea where the fuse is that could be the problem? 2018 Newmar London Aire. Thanks

I have the same thing going on but the reset didnt work. Any idea where the fuse is that could be the problem? 2018 Newmar London Aire. Thanks
The fuse that I popped was the 300amp fuse. It’s located in the battery bay, on the wall, covered by a piece of plastic. Just follow the cables on the wall in that bay and you’ll find it. There’s also a smaller fuse, I believe at 150amp fuse in there as well. Could also be that one.

@TJ&LadyDi that sounds pretty similar to what we did. Forgot we were on 30amp service, walked into the coach and fired up the convection oven, cooktop and instant pot air fryer all within minutes of each other. I think the straw was the air fryer because recently we had the Power Watchdog trip when the air fryer got turned on while all ACs were running. So we’re looking for a new low draw air fryer now.

Better to do it the way you did, than in the dark at 15 deg F with flashlight. Don't ask how I know:cool:

On ours when on 30A, the "energy shed mechanism" kicks in and shuts stuff down. If that does not fix issue, inverter is brought into mix and provides backup AC. But I watch closely what we are doing, making sure we don't cook on the induction and run coffee pot at same time for instance. Once system has recovered back to only using 30A, takes forever for the batteries to come out of bulk. And we don't run a/c when gone if only on 30a either. I will say, that I went through and made sure all the connections on the connections were tight and snug. That might have alliviated issues even thought we did not have them. Did this for breaker on rear A/C/HP and now it does not drop out of circuit.

For those who don’t believe in “resurrection,” this thread just came back to life after more than a year in the grave. :ROFLMAO:

Actually, the information is still useful for anyone experiencing this problem.

TJ

Latest resources

Back