• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DDB

RVF Newbee
Hi,

I have a Sprinter RoadTrek, several years old and the chassis is still in great shape. And have made good use out of it. And still expecting many more years of good use. It’s a pleasure to drive and very versatile . Never abused, or driven in snow/road salt conditions. The vehicle has spent very little time in corrosive environments. And is driven on a regular basis. Vehicle has always been well maintained for both the chassis and RV section. The Sprinter chassis has no rust. Yet, many of the RoadTrek installed undercarriage metal hardware is rusting more than expected. And I have taken steps to mitigate the corrosion concern by gennerosly using lithium grease when able to the coach undercarriage parts. As well as never seize, and Boeshield T-9 protectant.

I’ve noticed an issue that could be a concern. The threaded rod hangers that hold the fresh water/gray water/black water tanks in place. Some of the chassis perimeter hangers are fastened to the Sprinter frame by means of 1/4” diameter aluminum rivets via a steel plate welded to the threaded rod hanger. As well, one of the side door power step hangers is secured in this manner. The other is secured by steel 5/16” sheet metal bolts (this one is not corroding).

Here is the concern, steel and aluminum together can accelerate the corrosion of the aluminum. I believe the cause is because of electrolysis. Corrosion of the aluminum to the point that the aluminum rivets can no longer securely fasten the threaded rod hangers to the Sprinter chassis frame. Yes, it does and will eventually happen, while the metal integrity of Sprinter chassis remains robust. Ask me how I know?

Is anyone in this forum aware of this, or encountered it? Has anyone recently inspected the undercarriage hangers on their RoadTrek to ensure the hangers are solidly and securely fastened to the Sprinter chassis?

I am a mechanic. I do a meticulous job maintaining my RoadTrek. This RV is not stored for long periods of time in a corrosive environment. The hanger fastend method concern truly alarms me. Mainly as a safety issue. IE: part of RV undercarriage coach hardware separating from RV at highway speeds.

No, I don’t work on RV’s for a living. But I am guessing this was or still is an RV industry standard to use aluminum rivets to fasten two steel parts together on some of the undercarriage coach parts.

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed and would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading my post.

The hanger fastend method concern truly alarms me. Mainly as a safety issue. IE: part of RV undercarriage coach hardware separating from RV at highway speeds.
Then correct it as you see fit. I would replace the 1/4 aluminum rivets with stainless bolts of the same size. (Anti-sieze to prevent galling.)

No, I don’t work on RV’s for a living. But I am guessing this was or still is an RV industry standard to use aluminum rivets to fasten two steel parts together on some of the undercarriage coach parts.

Thank you for reading my post.
Yeah, they do things to facilitate production, not servicability or longevity. It's easier and faster to blast rivets in with a gun than to install decent bolts.

Roger

Latest resources

Back