RV Model
STT343VIK
RV Length
37'8"
TOW/TOAD
2021 Tundra for now
Fulltimer
Yes
Thank you for accepting me to the forum. At the moment my wife an I, along with our puppy live in Eastern NC. Next month we will be going from never spent a night in a camper to living in one. We have a mixed bag of emotions when thinking about the change, but mostly excited. For the first month, we will be traveling through the southeast before parking for a while in Florida. Hopefully by going big on the TT we can have an easy transition from 3400 sq ft. We of course have millions of questions, and will hopefully figure it out as we go. It helps that both of us either go all in or are all the way out. Any advice you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Look at Full timing the way you look at jumping into a lake that you know is cold. When you jump you know you will be shocked. But you also know you will have two choices.
1) swim quickly to the edge and ladder and pull yourself out and dry off.
2) Realize in time your body will adjust to the cold and you will start enjoying the swim.

RVing is much the same way. You will fall over each other for a while. Over time you will start respecting each others space and start giving way to the other and strengthen your relationship

At first you will look at the extra work involved with RVing. Then you start to realize that the work keeping up a large house is much greater than that needed to RV.

Soon you will start to value the quiet and peace you can only get while communing with nature. When you think of the old stick and brick and it's lure you will realize that what you have can't be beat. You don't like the neighbors, you move. The lights in the street keep you awake, you move. The local restrictions are getting to you, you move. Some will say the problem is you can't tolorate anything. But you know you did at one time, and now you don't have to.

When you jump, set a date one year up the road. resolve to try until that date before you turn back and you will likely be ruined for life.

Good luck and know we are here to help you understand this life.

I did the same. What a wonderful, exciting adventure you are about to undertake. My best advice is to be at ease. Issues will come up with your rig or a campground, but you are never stuck. You can move. Things can be fixed. Breathe. Keep a curious attitude and do something you might not have done in the “old” life. I have found for the most part people are friendly and helpful on the road. Put yourself out there and don’t isolate. Check out FMCA and go to a rally. Welcome to a new lifestyle. Enjoy and reach out to the forum family for support, reassurance and sharing of your good times. We love photos! ?

Welcome from Georgia! Be careful. Don't try to bring everything with you. You'll wind up on the side of the road with blown tires. Do yourself a favor and stop at the first set of scales you find to see how much your trailer actually weighs. You can adjust from there. Don't forget, water is 8 pounds per gallon so if you weigh empty keep that in mind if you ever travel with a full tank. The grey and sewer tanks will weigh just as much.

Having made the transition just over a year ago, our biggest issue was handling the downsizing of 'stuff' we had acquired since living in our house since 1984. 2nd biggest issue was bringing along stuff we though we might need/use. It will take time to adjust and decide what 'stuff' is essential. EZ provides some good advice with regards to weighing your trailer. It's not so much the destination, but the trip to get there. Enjoy the ride & see this wonderful country.
We are near Holden Beach, NC sheltering in place.
Welcome & safe travels.

Latest resources

Back