Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Dan_Frisbie

RVF VIP
I see so many videos of people brake checking cars, trucks and big rigs that it's scary. A dashcam can determine fault, but that doesn't help when you front end is mashed in, so I want to add some protection.
I have a 2017 Georgetown (gasser) and can't seem to find anyone that manufactures a front grill/brush guard.

If I can't find one, who else is interested? If I have one made, I can have more...
I'm in NW Florida

I have seen acrylic bug guards on class A units, but never a HD bumper.
There is a fabricator in Ontario Canada that custom makes bumpers for trucks - Mik Mak Fabricators.
Wonder if they could design one for a class A. The bumpers Mik Mak makes are not known for being light weight. 🤔
We have one on our Super C and to say it is “very solid” would be an understatement. They don’t seem to be kidding when they call it a “Moose Bumper”.

I asked my mechanic about these years ago, since they attach to the frame of a truck. His response was then you only damage the frame when you hit something substantial. I asked a police officer who had one on his car. He said its only real utility was for pushing cars.

In a class A one has to drive for you and everyone around you.

I asked my mechanic about these years ago, since they attach to the frame of a truck. His response was then you only damage the frame when you hit something substantial. I asked a police officer who had one on his car. He said its only real utility was for pushing cars.

In a class A one has to drive for you and everyone around you.
As a mechanic, I realize that hitting something with enough force to damage the frame will, in fact, damage the frame with or without a grill guard.
However, on a Class A MH with a very fragile front facia, it is quite easy to damage the body work without enough impact force to cause framed damage.
I also know how to drive.
A lot of people actually cause accidents with big vehicles for insurance payouts or to rob the occupants.

A lot of people actually cause accidents with big vehicles for insurance payouts or to rob the occupants.
This is most unfortunate, but true. It takes so much more energy and vigilance to drive these tan when driving a car.

No offense to any lawyers on here, but those lawyer tv ads showing people get millions of dollars from such accidents seem to encourage such behavior.

But back to the subject, I have never seen one of these on a class A anywhere.

I have seen acrylic bug guards on class A units, but never a HD bumper.
There is a fabricator in Ontario Canada that custom makes bumpers for trucks - Mik Mak Fabricators.
Wonder if they could design one for a class A. The bumpers Mik Mak makes are not known for being light weight. 🤔
We have one on our Super C and to say it is “very solid” would be an understatement. They don’t seem to be kidding when they call it a “Moose Bumper”.
Got a pic of that?

I also know how to drive.

I don't think you were being accused of not knowing how to drive. I think he was just re-stating the mantra that anyone driving more that just a standard auto has to be more observant. :) Reaction times stay the same but stopping and accident avoidance becomes increasingly more difficult driving heavier vehicles.

Our first trip to Mexico was a bit nerve racking as we succumbed to the media misinformation that people would be jumping in front of our "out of country" vehicle to collect insurance awards. We got Dash Cams and drove extremely careful. It was a bunch of baloney. We have visited Mexico quite often and have never had a problem. Nor have we ever been brake checked in all the years we have been RVing including the last seven years where we have been full timing. That's not to say that we still don't drive cautiously.

I understand where you are coming from though. It's better to be safe than sorry. If someone does brake check you and your rig sustains damage not only are you stuck trying to provide evidence that you are not at fault and then there is the added discomfort of having the damage repaired and all that goes with that.

I am of the opinion that if such a situation does occur, and the damage to the coach is only superficial, we can still carry on our way and let our insurer deal with the mess. We will always have dash cam evidence to back our innocence. We can have the repairs completed at our leisure, Should the damage be more severe then a cosmetic problem, then a grill guard would not help matters anyway. The coach would still be out of commission for what ever time it would take to get one back on the road. I just don't see where a grill guard would eliminate any of the inconvenience unless you were willing to live with minor damage to the guard in the event of such an incident.

If a grill guard gives you peace of mind, then by all means, have one built and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Life is short. Enjoy it while you can.

Safe travels
Darrell

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back