RV Make
Alpinelite
RV Length
26'
TOW/TOAD
2016 Ram 1500
Fulltimer
Yes
How many here keep their fuel tank topped off?
We all know that there is more problems with condensation in a partly empty tank. We also know algy grows in water logged diesel. So who worries about the possibility?

The tank is topped off, as well as the def ready for spring. I also put an additive in the fuel.

I will be picking up my new work vehicle soon. It is a 7.3 IDI or pre-powerstoke diesel. It will burn about anything you can pour in the tank, and I will. I have heard algae and other organisms that like diesel do not like brake fluid, motor oil, transmission fluid, etc. Then there are the additives. I suspect I will be running fuel thru it at such a rate as to not worry about fuel staying in it long.

I fill up on my way home so the tank is full while sitting to avoid the condensate issue, but when on the road I’ll run it until its around 1/4 at which point it starts its incessant dinging and while I know I can still go nearly 200 miles, they have engineered just enough irritant into the system to drive me to refuel early. So thats what I do. I think its dumb, and I opened up the dash and duck-taped a sock over the dinger, but it still irritates me enough to send me to the fuel islands before I would otherwise be inclined to do so.

We all know that there is more problems with condensation in a partly empty tank. We also know algy grows in water logged diesel. So who worries about the possibility?
ALMOST always fill up at the end of the day of travel. That way I’m ready for the next day’s travel. If I’m parked for longer than a month, I add an additive to the tank. Also keep the Def close to full

ALMOST always fill up at the end of the day of travel. That way I’m ready for the next day’s travel. If I’m parked for longer than a month, I add an additive to the tank. Also keep the Def close to full
Very good to keep DEF close to full as much as possible on pre-2016 emission rigs. The mechanical float can easily gum up on DEF crud in a low tank condition causing false DTCs and all the trouble that entails.

The one in my lawn mower is. I try not to let any of my vehicles sit more than 4 weeks at a time at the most.

When we park for longer periods of time (diesel) we are careful to do 2 things:
1) avoid bio diesel in the last couple fill ups prior to parking, since it is more prone to algae
2) use additives
In our limited 3 years of experience this seems to be working well for us

Typically we fill tanks as close to home as possible when returning to storage. The air is typically very humid near the coast in Florida where we live. Would rather not risk condensation in the tanks. So we fill Diesel and DEF tanks.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back