Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Full Time RVers - What to do with important docs - Titles, birth certs, SSN card, etc

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I will be identified by law enforcement anyways because I will have a bag of cash and my AR slung over my shoulder......my wife will be carrying the ammo cans. You have to provide 20 kinds of id's to be an American but run across the border and America is your oyster.

Fireproof document holder View attachment 16322
These are good but they are only fire proof to a point. In an RV fire, unless it was quickly extinguished, you would find it full of ashes. I opened a much bigger and more expensive fireproof safe for a home owner after a house fire that burned without suppression, and they were very disappointed with the results ($200k of uninsured bonds among other things, all ash). But its probably your best bet and for the highest degree of “fire proofness” put it as low in the coach as possible so it has the best chance of surviving a fire. I think it’s nice to have the optional Newmar safe in my coach, but its 4’ above the floor and right over the engine. Someone wasn’t thinking when they made that decision.

The last RV that I saw burn, took less than 5 minutes. Luckily, it didn't spread to the rest of us. The RV was a 40 ft fifth wheel. I don't remember the make.

I had a house burn. It was framed in rough sawn wormy chestnut. It took two days before it was completely out. Wormy chestnut burns hot. TIP: put your fireproof safe at the lowest point and make sure it's waterproof too.

Last edited:
The last RV that I saw burn, took less than 5 minutes. Luckily, it didn't spread to the rest of us.

I had a house burn. It was framed in rough sawn wormy chestnut. It took two days before it was completely out. Wormy chestnut burns hot. TIP: put your fireproof safe at the lowest point and make sure it's waterproof too.
Yes water proof would be a very good feature. A smaller or light weight trailer would probably burn pretty fast and a “fireproof” safe would probably survive. A bigger trailer or Class A might be a very different story. Still a good safe is your best bet.

We keep ours with the rig. In a file cabinet drawer that will burn if it gets hot enough. Guess we're taking chances....

Latest resources

Back