Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Full Time RVers - What to do with important docs - Titles, birth certs, SSN card, etc

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

OpenRoadsAhead

RVF Newbee
For those who have gone full time RV, what are you doing or what have you done with your "Important Documents" like vehicle/RV title, birth certificate, SSN card, etc?

Fireproof document holder
Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 12.20.36 PM.jpg

Fireproof document holder View attachment 16322
Thanks. So you prefer to keep them with you at all times? Fire is definitely one concern for protection. What about theft though? Have you even round a need to have them on you full time? I was thinking about just dropping them at my parents for storage/protection instead of traveling with them. That's what made me ask the question.

Small fireproof, waterproof safe. An RV burns up in minutes. So you don't need one that will last a long time like in a house. Official duplicates that are left in a separate location is a plus.

Small fireproof, waterproof safe. An RV burns up in minutes. So you don't need one that will last a long time like in a house. Official duplicates that are left in a separate location is a plus.

Thanks! Have you actually needed them at any point in your RV travels?

We keep our passports, one credit card, Medicare cards, and SS cards. We found out about the credit card trick when friends in were RV caught fire they were standing outside in their sleeping attire and they lost their wallets/purses in the fire. We are not full time.

Thanks. So you prefer to keep them with you at all times? Fire is definitely one concern for protection. What about theft though? Have you even round a need to have them on you full time? I was thinking about just dropping them at my parents for storage/protection instead of traveling with them. That's what made me ask the question.
Yes, we prefer to keep them since we full time. We needed documents a couple of times in our travels and it was good to have them available. As for the RVs burning quickly, it's part of our evac drill to grab the box and medications on our way out.

Yes.

I live 24/7 in my bus. What I went thru trying to get a NM driver's license after I inadvertently let my TN license expire was not fun. At that time I didn't have all my documents because I left them with my mother in NC. I had to have them overnighted over a holiday weekend. And I still don't have a REAL ID driver's license. I guess I'm going to have to get a passport to solve that particular problem. I showed the local DMV/MVD all the appropriate documents and they give me their fakey driver's license (not REAL ID approved). When you order your certified documents, make sure you get at least 3 copies at the same time. Try to leave one set of everything someplace that you can access them fairly easily. Keep in mind that the fire safes tend to be somewhat portable (although I'm not lugging mine around) and it should contain most of the papers that would make it possible for your identity to be stolen.

If you look on pinterest or do an internet search, you will find what you need to keep in a "bug-out binder" (meaning you grab it in case of fire) or "in case of death" binder. My fireproof safe is not large enough to hold a standard binder or 8X11 sheet protectors. I bought 5.5 x 8.5 Inch Page Size Sheet protectors and fold papers in half. I hold the sheet protectors together with binder posts (used in bookkeeping and scrapbooking) and a pair of washers for each post. I also keep some cash in the sheet protectors as well. I figured if I ever needed to grab it and go, I would need a bit of cash as well.

We keep ours in a fireproof safe also. We full time and have on occasion needed some of the documents. We also keep a sum of money in it in case we need a little cash. You need a bug out bag in addition. Always near the front door.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back