• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Fulltiming - and keeping my stuff!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
When we started full-timing almost 2 years ago we got rid of everything except what went in the rig and those “key” items that we stored in a 10x10 storage unit.

Depending on the day I will tell you we got rid of too much or that we should have gotten rid of it all.

Just get a stacker trailer and take it all with you.

Take a few precious items of value, and call the auctioneer for the rest. Turn the house over to a real estate company to sell. Tell them "this is where you deposit the money".

We've been in the rental property position, even using a property management company. They did an excellent job, but in today's market, I'm glad we are not in the rental position. In general today people do not respect others' property.

Now about full timing, you might want to have a small condo or efficiency available. Only have monthly maintenance fees, insurance, and maybe utilities. Just depends on the level of luxury one expects in later years.

Bob

We made the leap. Gave the kids and grand kids one week. Contacted A to Z estate sales. For a percentage they came in, tagged everything in single or lots, listed it on line as an auction with pictures, arranged the pickups and shipments. Collected all the payments and sent us 3 checks. (Separate auction for jewelry and brass). I could not believe how they sold some stuff I thought nobody would want. Watched the auction live bidding at the end.
We kept 2 beds one couch and a few kitchen items for about 4 weeks till the house closed then donated the last couple of items.

No we share a 5x7 locker with a son. ( he and I are a bit into guns and some other things I didn’t want in the RV at this time).

Wife and I have both commented how great it feels to not be having “stuff” just because we thought it was required before.

Hi Neal, we went with your option 3, sold home and everything in it and escaped CA last July. We kept a coat closet sized storage unit with a couple tubs of my computer gear I wouldn't part with, and the family pictures. Fast forward a year, and we are buying a home in Prescott AZ area for a summer home base, and we bought a deeded lot in an RV resort in Ft Myers FL for winter home base. We are finishing remodeling the home in Prescott now, and will be furnishing it with just enough to get by, then hitting the road again for Florida. Our plan is to continue to full time part time back and forth for a few more years and then decide which part of the country we want to "retire" to. We wont be renting the Prescott home, but the deeded lot can be rented for obscene amounts of money in the winters if we choose to not go there for some reason. That's the plan so far! I am sure if the rv is your happy place you will make it work out, and as others here have said, stuff is just stuff, and half the fun is getting to replace it! (Just kidding on the last part!)

Latest resources

Back