• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Fulltiming - and keeping my stuff!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We're glad to have sold the house and have not storage costs. Unfortunately everything goes cheap in estate sales....

We, at a previous home that was small, kept stuff in a storage locker for 6 years. I forgot what was in it. It cost $60 per month. When we opened it to look in and decide what had to be moved to our new home, we decided that most of it was worthy of donation to Goodwill. Money down the drain...learn from our mistake.
As they say, "been there, done that".

When we sold our business in FL and moved to NC, we brought with us ALL KINDS of furniture that we (my wife) just couldn't live without. When we got to NC we stored all this gotta-have furniture in one of the houses we were renovating. Fast forward a couple of years and we were looking at the "stuff" and wondering what the hell we were thinking of. Now mind you, we had paid a moving company to move all this furniture 550 miles for us. Funny how we can get emotionally attached to stuff that really has little real value.

I think we (me) are more emotionally attached to what I paid for it vs. "it". I just sent several piles of a lot of computer accessories, wiring, audio/visual cables, etc. to the trash, probably 1-2K when bought which made it hard to part with. I'm glad it's done, it was consuming an entire bedroom. With Amazon these days and the "just in time" delivery, i.e. if you need something you can get it fast and easy, it helped part ways vs. having a mountain of stuff on hand.

I just bought all kinds of stuff to build a woodworking shop. I really don't want to see this stuff go. I need to figure out how to accept keeping the house and fulltiming at the same time and not get in trouble with the HOA if they find out (ratted out by neighbors) the house is vacant for extended periods. I have lawn service, it's all well maintained.

Sorting this out, but not in a rush either. As I have a long winter/spring trip ahead it's not a now decision but I realize where my heart is and how much I love the nomadic RV lifestyle so I'll keep trying to solve this puzzle.

I think the parallel is how people own multiple houses. You have to accept and have some system for not being at a house for an extended period of time.

I just bought all kinds of stuff to build a woodworking shop.
Oh my goodness, the woodworking shop. lol, two years ago I bought a bunch of woodworking tools, routers, sanders, planers, jointer, dust filtration system, and even a sawmill to harvest the Red Oak and other trees on the property.

And then we bought a motorhome.

Anyone want to buy some woodworking stuff?

The furniture you can have, I'm laying on my woodworking stuff, blocking with my body! :)

I keep my woodworking stuff in a 16ft cargo trailer that I store for less than most people store their stuff in storage. I do my projects on the LTVA during the winter mos. got my pie with fingers in it.

Oh my goodness, the woodworking shop. lol, two years ago I bought a bunch of woodworking tools, routers, sanders, planers, jointer, dust filtration system, and even a sawmill to harvest the Red Oak and other trees on the property.

And then we bought a motorhome.

Anyone want to buy some woodworking stuff?
I’ll be in Concord the weekend of the 11th of October to watch the race... :)

When we were forced to sell our house for a new turnpike, wife suggested we buy a RV and travel. Our kids got the furniture and my friends got good deals on equipment in my metal working shop. Wife scanned all the photo albums and put them in a digital picture frame. Gave the albums to the kids. The few personal items are in one tub in the bays. My friends miss my shop more than me.
Getting rid of the 20 plus years of stuff was truly uplifting. We do not have anything in storage. It is not for everyone.
No regrets.

for what you can't sell easily or quickly enough and don't have a reason to hold on to, consider donating it and taking a write off on your taxes. Standard deduction increases may have changed whether or not you still itemize or not, but your accountant will be able to advise. If you can't sell it, can't donate it and write it off, don't wanna give it away and don't want to carry it around, put it in one of your boxes.

Once most things are sold, donated or packed, you'll know if you need to rent a unit or if it makes sense to store by the box. My sister in law stores most of our stuff but for things we want to be able to get back at a moments notice, we store by the box at a facility that will ship it back to us. This allows us to swap things in and out of storage on the road.
Hi, sorry but can you explain what are the names of those storage by the box facility. No that I am planning to go full timer but it's always good to know information. Thanks

Latest resources

Back