Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

bossmanc

RVF Newbee
It's currently -22F here(ya i know, i'm crazy), and I'm having some serious heating issues, my furnace fan is coming on, and it's lighting, I can hear it, and see the flame if I look. The issue I'm having is that the air coming out of the vents is luke warm, AT BEST! The air coming from the furnace fan is actually overpowering the heat it's producing and ends up making it colder when it's running. Not sure what to do here? Am I missing something? HELP! :)

I think the outside air is just to cold for the furnace to overcome. You need to supplement with a small heater or head to warmer climates.

It could possibly be that your furnace duct has become unhooked or damaged in a way that a hole or gap has developed and is letting in that extremely cold air to the duct and is then distributing that air throughout your coach as your furnace tries to push the warm air. I sincerely hope you figure out a solution.

The problem is probably the cold air getting pulled into the burner area. The heat exchanger uses outside air plus the heat from the flame to make the indoor air warm. The outside air is so cold the heat from the flame is not enough to sufficiently warm the exchanger. I would suggest some electric heaters to supplement the furnace until it warms up. Just be mindful of the amp draw of the heaters and your available power.

Furnaces typically do not introduce outside air into the supply airstream. Commercial heating systems are designed to introduce outside ventilation air but virtually no residential furnaces have that capability.

At -22F, the heat loss from the RV is very likely greater than the furnace heat output. As someone above posted, supplement with electric space heaters. Also take steps to seal any sources of infiltration and insulate poorly insulated areas. for example use a layer or two of reflectix over the windows and windshield (if it is a MH). Insulate/seal skylights and roof vents. Etc, etc

Latest resources

Back