Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

chris2019

RVF Newbee
Pretty sure this is not the first time for this request. LTV hopeful here and first-timer to the forum. Trying to get a sense of LTV owner’s experience with their Gas and Diesel LTV- good, bad and ugly
Cheers

You’d have to drive both but I can tell you having had an F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost (of the Wonder), it is a very responsive and capable engine with a lot of towing capacity, and with more hp AND torque than the MB Sprinter diesel (of the Unity). Given that, in this case the diesel would be a tough sell for me. And I generally prefer diesels. Also the Ford transit has an AWD option which would be a very nice feature on a coach. Not sure about the Sprinter but its not listed as an option.

The Unity offers three options I would prefer (Alcoa wheels, propane genny, and jacks) that aren’t avail on the Wonder, but in this case I think the power of the Ford 3.5 gas and optional AWD would still carry the day. That said, I just went through the build and price process on the LTV website and the Wonder is $32k more for the exact same build with no options. Interesting.

My neighbors have a Unity (now has around 60k miles on it) and we’ve traveled with them all over the state (coast, mountains, and desert), lots of hills, grades, etc, both towing a similar load (Polaris Ranger on a small utility trailer) and the Unity was right there with me all the way. And they love it - no complaints.

The gas/diesel question has been debated extensively but in this little niche its still a very valid question.

Last edited:
Ok, I’ll hazard an opinion. as long as you are not requiring overall pulling power.

If you tend to drive often and long distances a diesel starts to make sense.
When I Commuted 500 mikes a week, diesel made perfect sense.
If you drive short distances or not often Gas powered vehicles are more reasonable.
When the office moved to my area, 10 mile commute, the diesel never warmed up to work and back. Lived in Minneapolis at the time.
Not good for the engine.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back