Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
As many here know 1) I'm am a software developer and owner of a small biz, 2) I removed my jack knife sofa in my Newmar Ventana and installed a 6ft UpDesk. I bought the coach 3 years ago as for me to do my work all I need is an Internet connection and I really missed the travels from my Air Force days. There is so much to see as ALL of us know here. As I'll always work, I hate an idle mind, I'm continuing to evolve my RV setup.

When I first started RVing I just used an iMac which can run both Mac and Windows. I dev for everything (Windows, Mac, Web, iOS, Android...). I prefer Windows 10 (yes, I said that) but also love macOS but much of my work is done on Windows including mobile development (iOS/Android) which can be done on either. The iMac is a great option for RVing, compact all in one desktop with 27 inch screen, powerful, great all around. I stored it on the bed during travel with one of these covers over it. I also own a recent Macbook Pro but I cannot stand working on a 15 inch display.

This past winter on my 7 month trip I used a different setup. I used two ergotron arms which clamp to the desk and the monitors (I use two) attach to these arms. This is great for a desk setup as it gives you all of your desk space with no monitor stands. I use a 32 inch LG primary with a 27 inch LG secondary for dual displays. I could swing the monitors out of the way to watch TV on the televator but it wasn't ideal. I typically watched TV on the front center TV. I use two machines for development, a Dell XPS 8930 running Windows and my MacBook Pro for the mac side of the house and also pair my dev tools in Windows to the mac (Xamarin).

I'm going for a new option going forward. I just ordered a Mac Mini max'd out except on RAM as it's recommended to add that aftermarket. If I need more graphics power I can add an eGPU. I will still bring along the MacBook Pro as a spare but it will be used for patio side computing and the Mac Mini mounted beneath the desktop with a mount (3D printed of course). The windows machine will continue to go along with me and I'll be using the same two monitors but on their stands so they can be moved when I want to watch TV. So in essence what is going to change from my winter trip is the new Mac Mini recently refreshed (March 2020), it will connect to the two displays via USB-C which are on stands now ditching the ergotron arms. Windows uses display port to connect to the monitors. I use a Logitech K780 keyboard which handles multiple devices, as well as a Logitech MX Master mouse which switches between systems also supporting 3 devices. I do use a APC UPS battery backup but it's more for surge protection and power strip for more outlets but I always wonder if it's really needed as the coach has a battery backup on board aka house batteries!

For those that work in their RV I'd love to hear your setup. My passion is all related to computing whether software development or 3D printing. I'm very lucky to have a job that I can RV while working and not be stuck in an office, although I do love my office too, helps me focus :)

WOW!? Impressive, but too much "Geek Speak" for me! I got lost after Windows 10, Macbook, & Dell...oh, & I guess there's IBM in there somewhere too!:unsure:
Maybe one day I can learn "Geek Speak"!?
Seriously though Neal, that is one impressive set up which you have!?
As for my "setup", a new HP ENVY 17" with an inexpensive HP5055 wireless printer, & that's "hi-tech" for me!?
I'm still trying to figure out how to use all the dang remotes that came with this thing! But I can get the Dish Satellite up & running.....1 button to push!?
And seriously, how do you keep up with the operation & interface of everything?

Yeah. I used to have that same setup and ended up replacing it all with just an iPhone11 Pro Max. :ROFLMAO::p

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Give us some nice pictures soon; I’m sure it’s an awesome setup.

Like you Neal I’m in Software, but not so much development but maintenance for the state of Oregon Highway department. Most of my work however is through VPN to a development machine in Oregon. Internet speed is not the best here however going through the VPN connection it’s not bad. For me it’s all windows 10. All there stuff are On windows operating systems so it just works out. The only thing I need are at least 2 32” high res curve monitors to help prevent eye strain. I put my cpu anywhere out of the way with plenty of cooling. My monitors are on an adjustable platform on my desk so I can stand or sit to work.

As many here know 1) I'm am a software developer and owner of a small biz, 2) I removed my jack knife sofa in my Newmar Ventana and installed a 6ft UpDesk. I bought the coach 3 years ago as for me to do my work all I need is an Internet connection and I really missed the travels from my Air Force days. There is so much to see as ALL of us know here. As I'll always work, I hate an idle mind, I'm continuing to evolve my RV setup.

When I first started RVing I just used an iMac which can run both Mac and Windows. I dev for everything (Windows, Mac, Web, iOS, Android...). I prefer Windows 10 (yes, I said that) but also love macOS but much of my work is done on Windows including mobile development (iOS/Android) which can be done on either. The iMac is a great option for RVing, compact all in one desktop with 27 inch screen, powerful, great all around. I stored it on the bed during travel with one of these covers over it. I also own a recent Macbook Pro but I cannot stand working on a 15 inch display.

This past winter on my 7 month trip I used a different setup. I used two ergotron arms which clamp to the desk and the monitors (I use two) attach to these arms. This is great for a desk setup as it gives you all of your desk space with no monitor stands. I use a 32 inch LG primary with a 27 inch LG secondary for dual displays. I could swing the monitors out of the way to watch TV on the televator but it wasn't ideal. I typically watched TV on the front center TV. I use two machines for development, a Dell XPS 8930 running Windows and my MacBook Pro for the mac side of the house and also pair my dev tools in Windows to the mac (Xamarin).

I'm going for a new option going forward. I just ordered a Mac Mini max'd out except on RAM as it's recommended to add that aftermarket. If I need more graphics power I can add an eGPU. I will still bring along the MacBook Pro as a spare but it will be used for patio side computing and the Mac Mini mounted beneath the desktop with a mount (3D printed of course). The windows machine will continue to go along with me and I'll be using the same two monitors but on their stands so they can be moved when I want to watch TV. So in essence what is going to change from my winter trip is the new Mac Mini recently refreshed (March 2020), it will connect to the two displays via USB-C which are on stands now ditching the ergotron arms. Windows uses display port to connect to the monitors. I use a Logitech K780 keyboard which handles multiple devices, as well as a Logitech MX Master mouse which switches between systems also supporting 3 devices. I do use a APC UPS battery backup but it's more for surge protection and power strip for more outlets but I always wonder if it's really needed as the coach has a battery backup on board aka house batteries!

For those that work in their RV I'd love to hear your setup. My passion is all related to computing whether software development or 3D printing. I'm very lucky to have a job that I can RV while working and not be stuck in an office, although I do love my office too, helps me focus :)
I love Neil's setup and would love to be able to remove the couch, however, not being alone DW will have nothing of that. I set up my 1 or 2 27" 4K monitors on our Dinette (we have the dinette with roll top table option) when I need to get serious, but most of the time just have the monitor on the kitchen table. Internet wise I use Sky box that came with the Ventana, however, my main connection to the internet is a Sierra Wireless GX450 modem. While I have dabbled in IOS and Android code (a couple of apps for each), I leave that to the younger engineers (not a big fan of Java or Xcode). I design and develop embedded hardware for various usages, some monitoring, some actually are used for firing pyrotechnics to music (Pyrotechnics System). From my MH I develop everything from Windows Code (GUI and Server) to embedded Microchip PIC code (Non-geek translation - software that gets programed directly to CPU Integrated Circuits).

As it has been the last 40 years , my passion is related to my work developing systems for various things (Pyrotechnics, Vehicle Monitoring and Tracking and different communication systems (WIFI, IRIDIUM, CELLULAR).

When I saw Neal's setup, it was what I envisioned when I purchased the coach, but I kind of got used to semi laying on that caouch or sitting there when my back and butt require a firmer and more upright seat. I don't work remotely, but spend a fair amount of time on the computer. I end up sitting in the passenger seat and using the fold out table and a laptop.

Thanks Neal for the specifics. Setting up my wife's office, in the S&B, with two monitors is on my to do list.

I run a Spartan setup. I have to use the bedroom as I get the privacy I need that way. In fact when we selected the coach, The floor plan with the mid bath and the four slide outs was attractive versus something with a full wall slide. I’ve read about your set up in the past Neil and how you created a desk area with office chair out front and I think that’s really cool, there’s just nothing in the cards for me to do that as my wife needs the front of the coach for sewing and other crafts and socializing. My set up is a Walmart folding TV tray thingy and my laptop on a stand, and I replaced the stock bedroom TV with a LG 34 inch wide screen monitor on the same mount. I’ll grab a dining room chair and I’m in business. When I’m done, the table goes back under the bed the laptop goes on the cabinet under the monitor and the chair goes back to the dining area. Easy set up easy tear down. I wish I could have a better workspace but I get by, and I can’t figure out how to better use the bedroom than this (for work ;-)

Attachments

• 170F3DF8-A0DA-4146-B177-C87F31ADF999.jpeg
    170F3DF8-A0DA-4146-B177-C87F31ADF999.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
KISS. Sitting in the reversed drivers seat. Feet up. Pillows on legs to create height, stove cover on pillows to create little desk, MacBook on stove cover. Coffee on the slide table. I did consider taking over the half bath, removing and capping the toilet, removing the base cabinets and replacing the countertop to create a mini office but ultimately decided, why make lots work when no work do trick.

Latest resources

Back