Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

MarkD

RVF Newbee
We have a 2020 Winnebago Adventurer. We are having an issue running the ac off the generator. After turning on the generator the ac unit will start running but will turn off after a few seconds. We’re have tried each of the ac units separately with the same result. Both units were running before we disconnected from 50 amp power. Any suggestions?

What size is your generator and what size are your ACs? I am assuming the generator came with the RV?

Yes, it is all standard equipment. We have been able to run the in the past. The generator is an Owen 5000.

We have two ac units. We have been able to run both with the generator in the past. We have tried to run each on individually after stating the generator. Each shut off after a few seconds.

The generator is an Owen 5000. I’m not sure about the ac units. They were all standard equipment.

There are many reasons that are not obvious that cause Onan generators to shut down. Some of the obvious ones are low oil and overheating. I have found that on a hot day opening the generator basement door helps with airflow.
Then you get into adjustments like hertz and other esoteric measurements.

This Youtuber spent literally thousands of dollars chasing Generator issues at reputable repair shops. It ended up being a "simple" adjustment. The Kill a Watt is a cheap simple tool that is useful.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back