Chassis
N/A
Engine
N/A
TOW/TOAD
8,200 Lbs
Fulltimer
No
I didn’t know where to put this thread. I had an Onan 5500 generator run for 12-14 hours then it cut off and only ran for 2 hours at a clip. I took it to the shop and it has been running for all day every day for a week with nothing happening. My question is their something that could have been clogging and passed or is it something else. Anyone have any input?

Tough one to figure out, for me I had issues when I had too much oil in it once. I think the ONAN's can be sensitive to oil levels (either side, hi/lo). Do you remember where your diesel level was at the time? Could you have been parked in a situation where the pickup tube was unable to pickup more diesel, i.e. 1/4 tank cutoff?

I agree with @Neal. With a new Baystar and a new gas genny, I would think that all the lines are probably ok and clear.

I would first think the fuel level was below 1/4 tank or whatever level the Baystar sets the pickup level at. Once below it shuts down. But you say it runs for 2 hrs and then stops. BUT then you say it ran for a week at the shop - what happened between when it didn't run well and the shop - new gas?

I agree with @Neal. With a new Baystar and a new gas genny, I would think that all the lines are probably ok and clear.

I would first think the fuel level was below 1/4 tank or whatever level the Baystar sets the pickup level at. Once below it shuts down. But you say it runs for 2 hrs and then stops. BUT then you say it ran for a week at the shop - what happened between when it didn't run well and the shop - new gas?
I live in Florida and it was shut down for 3-4 months then I took it in for warranty work and told them to run it until it quits and woudn’t you know it has not shut off. I guess I have to go out on the road and chance it. I have since learned how to read the codes on the unit when the Generator quits again.

Fuel tank level close to 1/4 tank?
No it had over 1/2 tank. It would start back up and then run for 2 hours and of course when at a campground I ran off shore power.

Fuel tank level close to 1/4 tank?
No had over 1/2 tank, only thing I can think of is that the something was caught and over time has cleared. It sat this winter for several month without running, I will find out when we start on a shakedown after the warranty work is finished. I learned how to read the codes so if it happens I will find out why.

Latest resources

Back