Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2022 GMC Canyon AT4
Fulltimer
No
I'm dry camping with my genset set on auto start at low (12.2v) voltage. I noticed this morning when it started a pretty good puff of blue smoke. What say yea?

Did it stop smoking quickly?

Mine does the same, except it’s more white than blue IIRC. It’s done it since birth.

I've never noticed it smoking before and it only smoked for a few seconds at startup. It smoked at startup like a flooded gas engine.

Update: When it started this morning it puffed smoke for maybe 5 seconds and the generator was running very rough for a few few seconds, just like a flooded gasoline engine will do. Once it getsd over the rough running, it runs fine.

Yes, diesel.

I’m not sure if those generators have glow plugs, but when I owned a diesel p/u I had a glow plug solenoid go out. Since glow plugs did not activate it would be hard to start, run rough at start and puff smoke until the engine cyl got warm.

It could also be a dirty injector maybe? I use to use injector cleaner additives in my fuel. I don’t know if you can with that DEF stuff anymore?

How cold was the ambient temp?
I have noticed a bit of smoke on startup in 2 conditions:
1) when we didn’t run the gen at least once a month
2) when it is “colder”

The more regularly we run the gen, the easier/faster/cleaner it starts.

Once, when bored, was reading the owners manual - discovered that Onan states the gen should be run at least once a month for a couple hours. Hmmm, wasn’t doing that before, but we now have a reminder on the calendar to run it if needed.

Latest resources

Back