Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Sdw

RVF Newbee
I bought a travel trailer camper last year to go camping more and last year the battery kept draining super fast and we couldn’t find a reason why. We decided we would buy a generator so we can continue to camp from Costco but someone told me that you have to ground it with an 8 foot deep rod so that you don’t get shocked, my question is this how do you pound an 8 foot rod into the rock hard ground at these campgrounds? And the follow up question, how do you pull it back out of the ground if it is that deep? Thanks in advance!

I've never heard that and realize one person and what they tell you may not be correct. Have you tried researching this or check with the generator vendor for their usage instructions?

Thanks Neal for the reply. I reached out to the manufacturer because their manual does not say anything about it but on their FAQ it does say it should be grounded with a grounding rod. I also did a internet search and everything i found also said this. I am just amazed because the logistics of doing this every time you stop to camp is overwhelming.

The way code is delt with when adding to an existing 2 wire, no ground system. Is string all new outlets to a GFIC device. THAT MAKES THE ADDITION LEAGAL!!

If code allows an ungrounded addition using a GFIC device. That is what I suggest. Make a pigtail with a GFIC device you can plug you cord into.

For the record. I use inverters with ground/short protection and don't worry about it.

Why would you not ground the generator to the RV if that is all you are powering?

Why would you not ground the generator to the RV if that is all you are powering?
That wasn't the question. But why would you? The reason given for GFIC on basement, and outside walls, is the ground potential inherent to those devices.

Latest resources

Back