RV Model
Mini lite
RV Length
30'
TOW/TOAD
2011 ford f250
Fulltimer
No
Hi all , we have a travel trailer that requires a 30A hook up.
We would like to use the ac during rest stops on the road.
Any suggestions?

Hello @Jimbo. You would need a generator or a good solar setup with lithium batteries as an alternative. Are you asking what size generator you would need? You may also want to consider Micro-air EasyStart (also called SoftStart) which makes AC's play better with generators.

Kinda asking all of that.
I have a 5550 construction style gen. But I understand they are not good for rv use.
The ac is naturally the biggest load.
Of course, noise is a factor too. Physical size as well.
Thanks for your hel

Being a generator research nut, and seeing that you have a 30 Amp trailer, I can deduce what size it is to a degree. A good 2500 unit will do it and imho, Westinghouse has the best units overall. Opinions are all over the place so, I'm not trying to start an argument. There is an engineer out there who has tested many many of them and agrees. These will run in the 500 to 700 range. A Westinghouse will start an air conditioner when others might not without retrofitting. It's in the proprietary tech of the old company per the engineer with things like counter rotating fans, and more to reduce/cancel out noise, increase compression. Lowes and HD have them.

BUT, overall, the best deal is likely the Harbor Freight 3500 (Predator) if you got the room for it. VERY quiet, in the 900 range, buy the extended warranty and get a new one if there is a problem no questions asked. There are vids on it.

I just saw a street vendor with a trailer who had one at the front of his truck who uses it daily and loves it and is his second in four years hard use. So, we are at his window ordering and the unit was at the front of the trailer about 10 feet away and you couldn't hear it well maybe a thrum. He's the one who noted the extended warranty. He said most of the vendors used it for price, quality and reliability...and the ability to just go to harbor freight and change it out in minutes if needed. I believe even Consumer Reports noted it here a few years ago. YES, Honda's and Yamaha's are wonderful, but you can buy three "Predators" for the price of one of them equivalent power and quietness isn't an issue anymore like 10 years ago. All of them can get quiet now days...

Oh, the Firman's at like Costco stay away from even if they appear to be good deals... A generalization but... Solar/Lithium are getting better, but count on a thousand bucks for 100 watts with a Solar/Lithium set up, not counting installation. Knock maybe 300 bucks off the next 100 watts and so on and IF you are going to go Solar, just cut to the chase and go Lithium also. A hundred watt set up realistically will just charge your batts and not much more but as they move to 12 volt refrigerators more and more, you almost have to go with at least a 100 watt Solar set up simply so you have battery power to run the fridges. Might as well go Lithium...if you are going to go that way.

Being a generator research nut, and seeing that you have a 30 Amp trailer, I can deduce what size it is to a degree. A good 2500 unit will do it and imho, Westinghouse has the best units overall. Opinions are all over the place so, I'm not trying to start an argument. There is an engineer out there who has tested many many of them and agrees. These will run in the 500 to 700 range. A Westinghouse will start an air conditioner when others might not without retrofitting. It's in the proprietary tech of the old company per the engineer with things like counter rotating fans, and more to reduce/cancel out noise, increase compression. Lowes and HD have them.

BUT, overall, the best deal is likely the Harbor Freight 3500 (Predator) if you got the room for it. VERY quiet, in the 900 range, buy the extended warranty and get a new one if there is a problem no questions asked. There are vids on it.

I just saw a street vendor with a trailer who had one at the front of his truck who uses it daily and loves it and is his second in four years hard use. So, we are at his window ordering and the unit was at the front of the trailer about 10 feet away and you couldn't hear it well maybe a thrum. He's the one who noted the extended warranty. He said most of the vendors used it for price, quality and reliability...and the ability to just go to harbor freight and change it out in minutes if needed. I believe even Consumer Reports noted it here a few years ago. YES, Honda's and Yamaha's are wonderful, but you can buy three "Predators" for the price of one of them equivalent power and quietness isn't an issue anymore like 10 years ago. All of them can get quiet now days...

Oh, the Firman's at like Costco stay away from even if they appear to be good deals... A generalization but... Solar/Lithium are getting better, but count on a thousand bucks for 100 watts with a Solar/Lithium set up, not counting installation. Knock maybe 300 bucks off the next 100 watts and so on and IF you are going to go Solar, just cut to the chase and go Lithium also. A hundred watt set up realistically will just charge your batts and not much more but as they move to 12 volt refrigerators more and more, you almost have to go with at least a 100 watt Solar set up simply so you have battery power to run the fridges. Might as well go Lithium...if you are going to go that way.
I understand that it should be a "inverter " generator to avoid electronics issues. Know anything about that?

I understand that it should be a "inverter " generator to avoid electronics issues. Know anything about that?
That is critical and I guess I assumed. Everything I discussed is inverter. Anything else might fry your electronics.

That is critical and I guess I assumed. Everything I discussed is inverter. Anything else might fry your electronics.
Thank you very much for explaining all that. I don't want to buy something bigger than I need just because some sales person said so, I want to be armed with some knowledge. Thanks again
Jimbo

Do some more research before you buy. Lots of opinions out there. But if you can afford it- get a Honda ie2500. It's the best on the market. By far. People are all over the place on generators; especially the more inexpensive ones. I'm sure the Westinghouse is fine, but it's not a Honda. If price is an issue, lots of people use those Horrible Freight gennies, and love them. The Honda starts our AC no problem, and we don't have a soft start.

Do some more research before you buy. Lots of opinions out there. But if you can afford it- get a Honda ie2500. It's the best on the market. By far. People are all over the place on generators; especially the more inexpensive ones. I'm sure the Westinghouse is fine, but it's not a Honda. If price is an issue, lots of people use those Horrible Freight gennies, and love them. The Honda starts our AC no problem, and we don't have a soft start.
Thanks, most importantly I want to make sure it will handle the 30a requirements.
Noise, size and price are after.
I'm sure I will hear more in the days ahead of my purchase.
Thanks again for reaching out.

You may want to consider a generator that has the 30 amp connection if you are planning to run the air conditioner as then you will be able to plug your camper directly to the generator without an adapter to step down to the 15 amp plug in. Starting the AC may overload the 15 amp connection. The Soft Start on the air conditioner may be the answer for being able to use a generator with a lower power output. My camper has a 13,500 BTU air conditioner and I was NOT able to run it with my 2200 watt (surge power), 1700 watt continous rated generator, it would not start it, not even close as blew the circuit breaker on the generator right away.

Latest resources

Back