• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Madmegmartigan

RVF Newbee
I have a 2017 forest river wildwood 28DBUD

This might sound weird, but I want to get rid of my travel trailer’s propane tanks and just use an electric hot plate. The only other thing propane offers is running the fridge when there is no electric, but I don’t plan to ever be away from electricity long enough for my food to spoil, and eventually I am going to get solar.
Am I overlooking something? Do I want to keep my propane? Also, can I just let the propane run out and have empty tanks? Or do I need to remove them?
Also, say you have a neighbor who shoots his gun off all the time for fun... what would happen if a stray bullet hit your propane tank? Just something I’ve been thinking about.

Welcome to RVF, @Madmegmartigan; glad to have you join us.

Our motorhome is all-electric; we have no propane tank installed. I see no reason why your RV couldn't be set up the same way. You might look into enhancing your battery pack and inverter setup so that you can power your refrigerator on AC if you need to. A small generator will keep your batteries charged in a pinch.

As for your neighbor, I would certainly consult local law enforcement on that issue. Depending on the caliber and distance, a bullet could pierce a propane tank, but it is an unlikely event. Piercing a human being would be my more immediate concern.

TJ

I have a 2017 forest river wildwood 28DBUD

This might sound weird, but I want to get rid of my travel trailer’s propane tanks and just use an electric hot plate. The only other thing propane offers is running the fridge when there is no electric, but I don’t plan to ever be away from electricity long enough for my food to spoil, and eventually I am going to get solar.
Am I overlooking something? Do I want to keep my propane? Also, can I just let the propane run out and have empty tanks? Or do I need to remove them?
Also, say you have a neighbor who shoots his gun off all the time for fun... what would happen if a stray bullet hit your propane tank? Just something I’ve been thinking about.

Welcome to RVForums @Madmegmartigan - great to have you with us. If you need to dispose of your propane tanks, depending on the sizes I'm not sure if a big box store would take them from you (Lowes/HD) or maybe google for propane tank disposal options in your area.

@Madmegmartigan welcome to the forum. Additional questions before removing propane, how would you heat your water I am guessing it uses propane. Heating the trailer is another question, I would think that heat might also be propane. You can use portable electric heaters or maybe you don’t plan on being in cold climates?

I think you will find that running your fridge off of solar is a big ask for a solar power system. If it were me, I’d just use whatever propane I had in the tanks and keep them where they are on the trailer. They may come in handy someday as our goals, objectives, and modus operandi for RVing tend to morph over time.

Last edited:
We camp in colder areas each year and find that the installed Propane Heater is a welcome source of heat. We have 1400 watts of solar and 600 amps of LiON. The solar and batteries do not run heater elements in the HP for very long if it is very cold. We like to have alternative fuel sources to run utilities, fuel for generator, propane for heat, and solar when power demands are relatively light. We can run one of the A/C for many hours on solar and battery alone as well as laptops, tvs, modem, lights.

Propane is cheap, I would keep it. At least keep it until you have some experience with what an "all electric" RV actually feels like. Then you can make an informed decision.

And welcome to RVForums!

Latest resources

Back