• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tip Getting Connected On The Road video

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Keep both Services in Priority 1. Let the PepWave use them both. There are differing settings that can optimize connections, but likely to confuse you at this point.

With the FMCA card not working in another device, like the PepWave, my first thought is that the SIM is locked to that Sprint HotSpot. Without them giving you an unlock code, it would be the same as trying to take the SIM out of a phone that’s locked to Sprint or any other network. This is why an appropriate “internet” (unlocked) SIM card and plan is necessary for any standalone router.
Captain Gizmo would it be beneficial to try to tie the Sprint Hot Spot with unlimited data to the Pepwave for TV watching? Would it give a stronger signal than just using the hot spot alone? Is that what the Wi-Fi as WAN port is for on the front of the Max Transit? I'm thinking that my wife is going to need all the SIM card data for her job, but I'm trying to find a TV watching solution as well. I'm hoping I can incorporate the Pepwave somehow.....and I'm also going to have a TV outside at the Lake under my pole barn that I want to watch ball games on. I thought I read that the Pepwave would broadcast the Wi-Fi outside and well as inside? Thanks for the clarification.........o_O

Captain Gizmo would it be beneficial to try to tie the Sprint Hot Spot with unlimited data to the Pepwave for TV watching? Would it give a stronger signal than just using the hot spot alone? Is that what the Wi-Fi as WAN port is for on the front of the Max Transit? I'm thinking that my wife is going to need all the SIM card data for her job, but I'm trying to find a TV watching solution as well. I'm hoping I can incorporate the Pepwave somehow.....and I'm also going to have a TV outside at the Lake under my pole barn that I want to watch ball games on. I thought I read that the Pepwave would broadcast the Wi-Fi outside and well as inside? Thanks for the clarification.........o_O
Ok first...you need to understand a few things.
1. Your "HOTSPOT" is a stand alone receiver; for better, or for worse. So, it's internal antenna, location, cellular modem will all be the KEY factor to how well you pull in an internet signal.
2. As with many things, GARBAGE IN - GARBAGE OUT. So, if your "source" is crap (ie. hotspot, CG wifi, Cellular, etc.)..ain't nothing the Pepwave can do to improve it.
3. There IS NO "Wi-Fi as WAN" port on the Pepwave Transit. That is an ethernet port that is labeled WAN, which is for a dedicated source to be plugged into your Transit. This could come from another modem/router, a CG Fiber-Optic feed (some have it!), etc.

So now, your issue of "TV" on your wife's "data". LOL. WELL...you say nothing about how much data is on that card's plan. You also don't say what she does for data. So, don't try to get me in the middle of your marital bliss! LOL

That said, my "guess" as an expert (more than 50 miles away), is you won't drill through enough data watching TV to make a blemish on her data allotment.

Just establish that Network with the Pepwave, and let it do it's magic. You ask about it broadcasting outside your RV? OF COURSE IT WILL!!!! Do you think those little airwave thingies will stop at your door? ;-) The Pepwaves, EVEN WITH THE STOCK ANTENNAS, are strong enough to send a signal across a LARGE campground!!!

enjoy!!

Ok first...you need to understand a few things.
1. Your "HOTSPOT" is a stand alone receiver; for better, or for worse. So, it's internal antenna, location, cellular modem will all be the KEY factor to how well you pull in an internet signal.
2. As with many things, GARBAGE IN - GARBAGE OUT. So, if your "source" is crap (ie. hotspot, CG wifi, Cellular, etc.)..ain't nothing the Pepwave can do to improve it.
3. There IS NO "Wi-Fi as WAN" port on the Pepwave Transit. That is an ethernet port that is labeled WAN, which is for a dedicated source to be plugged into your Transit. This could come from another modem/router, a CG Fiber-Optic feed (some have it!), etc.

So now, your issue of "TV" on your wife's "data". LOL. WELL...you say nothing about how much data is on that card's plan. You also don't say what she does for data. So, don't try to get me in the middle of your marital bliss! LOL

That said, my "guess" as an expert (more than 50 miles away), is you won't drill through enough data watching TV to make a blemish on her data allotment.

Just establish that Network with the Pepwave, and let it do it's magic. You ask about it broadcasting outside your RV? OF COURSE IT WILL!!!! Do you think those little airwave thingies will stop at your door? ;-) The Pepwaves, EVEN WITH THE STOCK ANTENNAS, are strong enough to send a signal across a LARGE campground!!!

enjoy!!
Thanks for the clarification Captain Gizmo. Learning this stuff is like drinking from a fire hose! :oops:

@CaptainGizmo Does your Newell use Creston for A/V and communications? I am trying to figure out if I can put in the same wireless router like you have in my coach and how that interacts with Creston.

@CaptainGizmo Does your Newell use Creston for A/V and communications? I am trying to figure out if I can put in the same wireless router like you have in my coach and how that interacts with Creston.
Yes, it does. The Crestron sits on the network via Ethernet.

My network’s Ethernet cable is plugged into the LAN port of the PepWave. This cable runs to two Netgear 6-port switchers, front and rear, which allows all of the IP devices a direct Ethernet connection.

The Crestron then issues IP commands through the network, which hits IP-to-IR boxes to control all the A/V components.

One more question...From your screenshots you are using T mobile and ATT. Are you using prepaid or post paid and what is the easiest way to get the sim cards? Go in to the store or order online?

These are post paid cards. T-Mobile is easy, no matter how you choose to get the card/plan.

AT&T is nothing but a pain in the butt. The less I have to deal with them, the more hair I can keep. So, it’s your choice…but less is more. If you walk in, tell them you want a data card to put into your mobile device and then keep your mouth shut. Every time people have gotten into trouble has been when they start “explaining” what is a useless endeavor.

I went into AT&T today and one thing I learned is to make sure you go into a AT&T corporate store not a reseller of AT&T wireless. The latter doesn’t have the same products especially for data SIM cards. After I went to a corporate store it was smooth sailing to get a SIM card. $55 a month for 100 GB prepaid.

I went into AT&T today and one thing I learned is to make sure you go into a AT&T corporate store not a reseller of AT&T wireless. The latter doesn’t have the same products especially for data SIM cards. After I went to a corporate store it was smooth sailing to get a SIM card. $55 a month for 100 GB prepaid.

And if you don't want to go to a store, I think you can get your own SIM (e.g., https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R92L937/?tag=rvf01-20 ) and then buy the plan online here AT&T Prepaid Activation Portal provided that the form accepts your IMEI.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back