Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

franksauto

RVF Newbee
Hi all, Not sure if this is the correct area to post this but here goes. My wife and I have been talking about getting ready to start enjoying life. We decided we are going to start looking at pre-owned motorhomes. Not really sure what we want yet but would like to stay under $100k, that could change though. Was hoping you great people here can give us some pointers. What to look for, do's don'ts, models, etc.... So far I've been told things to look out for are condition of roof, tires, batteries, generator and leveling system. I'm sure there is much more to look out for.
Some of the things we would like are diesel engine, full bedroom with queen or king, large bathroom, washer/dryer, good size fridge, tile floor, spacious up to 42' in length. Not interested in a second bathroom or bunk area. A pull out sleeper sofa should be fine for guests.

Any opinions, suggestions or help directing us to our new way of life would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Frank-

Hi all, Not sure if this is the correct area to post this but here goes. My wife and I have been talking about getting ready to start enjoying life. We decided we are going to start looking at pre-owned motorhomes. Not really sure what we want yet but would like to stay under $100k, that could change though. Was hoping you great people here can give us some pointers. What to look for, do's don'ts, models, etc.... So far I've been told things to look out for are condition of roof, tires, batteries, generator and leveling system. I'm sure there is much more to look out for.
Some of the things we would like are diesel engine, full bedroom with queen or king, large bathroom, washer/dryer, good size fridge, tile floor, spacious up to 42' in length. Not interested in a second bathroom or bunk area. A pull out sleeper sofa should be fine for guests.

Any opinions, suggestions or help directing us to our new way of life would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Frank-
Your desires remind me so much of when we began our search for our coach. Five years ago I began searching the country for a class A to fit our needs. I built a spreadsheet with must haves and nice to haves. I looked for quite a period and then narrowed the list down eventually to three units. After about a three month search we had our coach. I flew to Florida with a one way ticket hoping the coach would be want we wanted. Lucky for me I was not let down. I am a mechanic (not a diesel mechanic however) and very handy so I figured if there were minor issues I could handle them. As I look at your list the one thing I would add and maybe it is not a concern for you it was for me. I wanted the tv on the back wall of the living room so we could turn the coach driving seats around and watch tv. This gives you a very big living room space. I also did not want a booth for a table. I am a big guy and wanted a table and chairs. We were not interested in extra guest sleeping arrangements. The sleeper sofa or airbed are fine. We did find ours for under $100K with 47K miles on it 40' diesel pusher 2007 Coachman Encore 40TS. Be patient you will find what you are looking for. We have been fortunate and have had very few problems.

You probably have thought of this but first what type of travel and what frequency/ length of trip are you considering. If frequency is low you might consider a travel trailer. If distance is low again a travel trailer might make since. Also, boondocks vs parks with facilities also will make a difference in the RV you choose.
If you are very lucky, you will pick the right RV to grow into.
Chances are good as you gain experience you will find a better fit as you discover what type of camping you enjoy.
Therefor keep resale in mind when choosing your RV.
We are between RVs at the moment with a new “perfect“ RV on order😎

Your desires remind me so much of when we began our search for our coach. Five years ago I began searching the country for a class A to fit our needs. I built a spreadsheet with must haves and nice to haves. I looked for quite a period and then narrowed the list down eventually to three units. After about a three month search we had our coach. I flew to Florida with a one way ticket hoping the coach would be want we wanted. Lucky for me I was not let down. I am a mechanic (not a diesel mechanic however) and very handy so I figured if there were minor issues I could handle them. As I look at your list the one thing I would add and maybe it is not a concern for you it was for me. I wanted the tv on the back wall of the living room so we could turn the coach driving seats around and watch tv. This gives you a very big living room space. I also did not want a booth for a table. I am a big guy and wanted a table and chairs. We were not interested in extra guest sleeping arrangements. The sleeper sofa or airbed are fine. We did find ours for under $100K with 47K miles on it 40' diesel pusher 2007 Coachman Encore 40TS. Be patient you will find what you are looking for. We have been fortunate and have had very few problems.
Thats awesome!!! I was actually thinking the same about the booth, not really interested. The TV on the back wall is a great idea. Your rig sounds a lot like what we are looking for. I'd be very happy to get the one we want the first time but we know we will want to upgrade eventually. Yes we would like to stay under $100k for something with reasonable mileage. I'm actually a mechanic myself, had my own auto repair shop for 23 years. It was time to move into something else.
Thank you for the ideas.

You probably have thought of this but first what type of travel and what frequency/ length of trip are you considering. If frequency is low you might consider a travel trailer. If distance is low again a travel trailer might make since. Also, boondocks vs parks with facilities also will make a difference in the RV you choose.
If you are very lucky, you will pick the right RV to grow into.
Chances are good as you gain experience you will find a better fit as you discover what type of camping you enjoy.
Therefor keep resale in mind when choosing your RV.
We are between RVs at the moment with a new “perfect“ RV on order😎
Hi Joe, I have actually considered tow behinds, some are amazing for reasonable prices. We have decided we want the bus. lol. We want to travel the country and stop wherever as opposed to camping. Probably towing my truck along. Also I have considered setting it up in my yard when not in use. Nice yard and patio area with grill and firepit and just minutes away from some of the best beaches in New England. We were thinking maybe Air B&B it when we are not using it to help offset the costs, haven't decided yet.
Thanks for the ideas.

Latest resources

Back