Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins ISL9 450HP
TOW/TOAD
2023 Silverado
Fulltimer
No
I'm not sure how far back but recent model GM trucks that are flat towable require the battery to be disconnected. My assumption is the radio, seat & mirror presets are lost due to the battery disconnect. My question for anyone towing a late model GM with the battery disconnect requirement is have you found a way to maintain the the radio, seat, & mirror memory?

Thanks,

I tow a 2018 GMC Canyon. I don't loose any settings. My truck does not have seat or mirror settings.

3016 GMC Sierra 2500. I don’t loose any of my radio, seat or mirror settings
Thanks @osullan & @Chargerman for the response. Looking at a 23 Silverado 1500 and the last step in the dingy tow instructions says reset lost presets. Good to hear your presets are in tact.

What method of battery disconnect are you using? I'm looking at the Roadmaster 766, it appears to make the disconnect / reconnect process very convenient.

I installed a rotary disconnect switch. Easy to use but now I wish I did what your thinking so I wouldn’t have to open the hood each time

Well the rotary switch approach seems like it should be very reliable, not much to go wrong. The Roadmaster solution may have more failure mechanisms than I'm comfortable with. Easy enough to verify the Roadmaster has disconnected when we start to tow and reconnect after. I'm unsure what the potential is for it to reconnect on it's own while traveling, that would be a costly failure.

Not sure what type of relay they are using. Should be a latching one so that it doesn’t need constant power to keep it open. Yes, the rotary switch I used it very failsafe and rugged. Like I said, the only downside is having to open the hood each time. Really only rakes a moment though

What method of battery disconnect are you using? I'm looking at the Roadmaster 766, it appears to make the disconnect / reconnect process very convenient.
That is exactly what I used. Works great.

Latest resources

Back