Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Going full time soon. Looking for tips and sound financial advise.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Nillionaires

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Rockwood
RV Model
Ultra Lite 2608BS
RV Length
30'
We are Jeff and Melanie! After years of dreaming of roaming this beautiful country, we are finally ready to take the leap! We have spent much time over the last couple years, downsizing and simplifying. We have spent the last year or so as weekend warriors. We started with an F150 and an R-POD and recently upgraded to a RAM with a 30’ Rockwood! As summer approaches, we will soon become “empty nesters:"as we head out into the unknown as Full Time RV’ers! We have zero debt and a moderate savings. We are here looking for sound financial advise. How much is enough? We both plan on working "remote" and doing odd jobs to realize our dream.

Wow I know people enjoying this lifestyle that are always scrapping the bottom of the barrel, to those that say can you ever have enough.

We have a new 2021 Ram 2500 and a new Rockwood TT. Both under warranty and paid for. We plan on boondocking quite a bit to keep costs down. I’m looking at a full 400 watt solar system and enough external water storage to stay off grid for weeks at a time. I’m just trying to gauge how much money we need to set aside for living expenses and possibly any emergencies. I know it’s a huge discretionary gap to gauge. So much to think about..,,

We have a new 2021 Ram 2500 and a new Rockwood TT. Both under warranty and paid for. We plan on boondocking quite a bit to keep costs down. I’m looking at a full 400 watt solar system and enough external water storage to stay off grid for weeks at a time. I’m just trying to gauge how much money we need to set aside for living expenses and possibly any emergencies. I know it’s a huge discretionary gap to gauge. So much to think about..,,
How much do you do for yourself? RV shops charge 140 an hour up. If you keep up with predictions a gallon of fuel maybe 6 or more in the near future.

On a lighter note, I tell everyone that 500w is a minimum system. If they try to sell you a system with a pwm controller run.

Figure in tow insurance that will get your RV and truck in.

Of course plan to live on what you can make, and secure your savings in something that keeps up with near future explosive inflation.

I am incredibly handy and plan to do the Solar install myself. I have a Battleborn "system" ready to order. I'm looking at about $6k for the initial equipment and another $1k for Pieces/parts
We are hoping to make longer stops with short travel distances in between. (Chasing the sun)
I have the Good Sam membership but I've not used it and have heard horror stories if I ever need to use it. So, I'm looking for a solid "tow" plan.
Right now my savings is sitting in a savings account because I don't want it tied up if I need it in an emergency.

BTW, thanks for your input so far.

Welcome @Nillionaires. The forum below may be of use as well as a great place to ask questions to the other fulltimers here. Welcome to the site.

Latest resources

Back