Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Tom T

RVF Regular
So, after 5 yrs I finally broke down and might a nice Garmin 8" gps unit, this will help my marriage and save me gas money! I have a Ford E-450 chassis, and am wanting to hear pros and cons of different mounting locations in relation to placement on the dash/ windshield, I am concerned with hindering the drivers view, and not sure if mounting it at the center of the dash or attaching it to the windshield so it hangs above the rear view mirror would be the best options?

You’ll want to mount it where you can easily operate it while driving. I put mine on the dash on driver side of center line. I figured an iPod sized Gps can’t block enough of my vision out of an 8ft by 5ft windshield !!!

Our Garmin RV890 is positioned in the middle of the dash where both driver and passenger/co-pilot can see it.

It is mounted on a Ram Portable Friction Mount...

with a 1” Ram ball...

...epoxied to it. I dislike suction cups; IME, they lose their grip at the worst possible time.

A Ram Double Socket Arm...

...links the ball mount on the RV 890 to the base.

This configuration has worked well for us.

TJ

Center of window, low as possible. Both can see it and with the magnetic mount it’s so easy to pull it off for the passenger to access and make changes.

Center of window, low as possible. Both can see it and with the magnetic mount it’s so easy to pull it off for the passenger to access and make changes.
I'm thinking that would be best, when on the dash in center there is huge blind spot at the RF of the truck, Might be able to mount it above the radio, and under the fan switch.

I am a newbie also. My 2008 Class C doesn't have any fancy electronics. After my first trip with the backup camera and GPS beanbags sliding all over the place, I got a vent clip and cd slot holder made for GPS's. The ball connector of the backup camera was a little larger than the GPS ball, so I had to sand it down a little, but I'm really happy with the results. Everything is now secure, no blind spots, and positioned where I need them. I also got a cigarette lighter adapter that lets me plug in 3 devices and also has 2 USB ports for phone charging. I got it all on Amazon and it was not expensive.

I mount mine as far to the left and as low as possible on the windshield. That way I can check it without taking my eyes completely off the road and it does not obscure my ability to see anything in the road. I have a center navigation display but much prefer the Garmin RV GPS.

Ours is right of center (toward the passenger), angled towards the driver. The TireMinder is directly beside it.

Latest resources

Back