Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Grand Design Momentum 5th frame questions.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

GSS

RVF Newbee
Hello all, new to the forum.

I did a search but not results, may not have the terminology right to find what I'm looking for.

I have spent some time doing research for a used 5th wheel toy haulers. We race dirt bikes and have been using a small bumper pull toy hauler but am looking to go bigger and maybe use it for out of town vacations on occasion. After many days of research, I determined that the GD Momentum would be the best built toy hauler for the money. Then I did what I do, bare down on the common potential issues with what ever I have decided to buy. It looks like there is a common issue with the frame on the GD 5ths? Looks like many have had weak frames that cause havoc on the floors and walls up front. Is this just rare occurrences, or steer clear of them?

I am not dead set on a specific manufacturer or model. I do not want to buy something that has low grade slides and equipment that will cause regrets. I know proper storage, repair and maintenance makes a big difference on used campers (have learned the hard way). If anyone has advise about the frames on the GD, or comparable quality toy haulers, I sure could use some insider knowledge on models I should be considering.

Not looking for huge toy hauler, the GD 350M is what I am looking at. Wife loves to cook for anyone hanging at our campsite, so good equipment, frig, cooktop, oven and such is desired. I have a hard time sleeping, so I don't think I can live with the bed being in the slide. Its noisy with guys coming in to camp at all hours of the night. I have a 2016 Ram 3500 dually. This would be used nearly every other weekend, traveling about 1.5 to 4.5 hours from home each way. We will be pulling off road thru fields when the conditions (firm ground) will allow. All of our races of course are off road, so it will be pulled thru level, but rough terrain.

Our local RV dealer and local listings have some of the 350M's listed for sale, I am wanting to go check them out in person this weekend.

Sure could use some sound advise on the GD frames or which direction I should be focusing on.

Thank you for your time.

this is a personal opinion!

GD sources frames from the same manufactuter as most others. The source builds to specs requested by the RV manufacturer. that said You should be looking at off road fifths if they make any! My guess if you race dirt bikes, you naturally think your car should go there too! (not the case).

If I was looking for a fifth , I would look for as heavy an axel raiting as I could find, with the smallest box. seldome will you find a 7000# axel without a frame strong enough to handle such weight!

Don't expect RVs to be built anyway but cheap! so look for a rig that appears to have an over built capacity when compared to the actual rig! (custom build comes to mind)!!!

And yes! GD has frame problems! Frame problems lead to slide problems. Beds in slides is the most common build! sorry to say!

You might check the payload of anything you are looking at. You will understand what I am talking about when you do! Good Luck!!!

Kevin, thank you for the info.

I don't have the budget for a custom order, and truly would like to purchase something immediately. Our race season begins in a few weeks.

So, if the frames are a common design and are used by a multitude of other rv brands, I can only assume this problem is common in other brands as well? Or is the GD heavier than the cheaper brands but built on the same frame as the cheaper brands? So, the cheaper, lighter brands hold up better because the frames do not flex as bad with less weight?

If the frame is a weak design, you would think that most of them would have failures. So disappointing that they cant even make the frame strong enough to prevent the joints from getting ripped apart durring transport. This is not a problem that I can fix.

Now, I don't know what direction to go. I was hoping this was just an isolated issue, not a design issue. I don't think I can, in good conscience, buy a model that may destroy itself from going down a rough road.

I will start doing research on other brands. If anyone has knowledge of good design toy haukers that they woukd recomed I take a look at would be greatly appreciated!

Kevin, thank you for the info.

I don't have the budget for a custom order, and truly would like to purchase something immediately. Our race season begins in a few weeks.

So, if the frames are a common design and are used by a multitude of other rv brands, I can only assume this problem is common in other brands as well? Or is the GD heavier than the cheaper brands but built on the same frame as the cheaper brands? So, the cheaper, lighter brands hold up better because the frames do not flex as bad with less weight?

If the frame is a weak design, you would think that most of them would have failures. So disappointing that they cant even make the frame strong enough to prevent the joints from getting ripped apart durring transport. This is not a problem that I can fix.

Now, I don't know what direction to go. I was hoping this was just an isolated issue, not a design issue. I don't think I can, in good conscience, buy a model that may destroy itself from going down a rough road.

I will start doing research on other brands. If anyone has knowledge of good design toy haukers that they woukd recomed I take a look at would be greatly appreciated!
the frames are built to order by the R manufacturers. that doesn't mean they are built on the same frame. Just wanted to clarify!

I'm searching now, does anyone know if there are structural problems with the 350M? I have read where some say its the larger models with issues. Any thoughts or am I wishful thinking?

Once again Joe, I got as far as the fridge and abandoned the article! These people think we're stupid!

Propane fridge 140 lbs equivalent apartment fridge 70lbs. They may have some good information, but that ain't it!

Latest resources

Back