Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Dsloms

RVF Newbee
Ok I’m new here and new to owning a travel trailer with holding tanks. So here we go….
I got my travel trailer, 2013 Evervite by evergreen. Winterized it with antifreeze in November and just hooked water up to clear out the antifreeze and fill the water heater before our trip this weekend.
After running the sinks and shower, the weather did not cooperate and it was 95 and humid. I went into the camper and was met with a rough odor in the living quarters and bathroom. Whoa!
The kitchen sink and bathroom sink don’t have the strong odor nor does the toilet. Found the strongest place or potential order causer was the shower drain. I ran some more water in it and definitely see water in the drain but no new water came up. The tanks were emptied when I took ownership but not sure when or if they were ever cleaned out thoroughly.
Any tips or causes of these odors? Any help would be appreciated.

~Dan S.

Yup you got it - shower drain. Specifically, dry p-trap. So if you keep those full (they dry out when not used regularly) that will stop the odors from getting inside. But to eliminate them treat your grey tank with some bleach first, then regularly with some black tank treatment or dishwasher soap to keep it clean and bacteria free. Its essentially another septic system even though it shouldn't be, so kill everything in it and the odors will go away.

Yup you got it - shower drain. Specifically, dry p-trap. So if you keep those full (they dry out when not used regularly) that will stop the odors from getting inside. But to eliminate them treat your grey tank with some bleach first, then regularly with some black tank treatment or dishwasher soap to keep it clean and bacteria free. Its essentially another septic system even though it shouldn't be, so kill everything in it and the odors will go away.
Rich,
Will filling the tub with water refill the trap to eliminate the smells? Or a good cleaning like you suggested?

Rich,
Will filling the tub with water refill the trap to eliminate the smells? Or a good cleaning like you suggested?
The water in the P-trap just evaporates from the heat after a long period of non-use. After treating the grey tank with some bleach just make sure to run a little water in the shower and let it drain normally. A small amount will stay in the P-trap and will block the odors coming up from the grey tank.

Latest resources

Back