• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Happy Camper tank treatment - Testing fail

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I do agree with TJ though, it’s supposed to speed up the organic breakdown process. So a one-day test probably isn’t sufficient. To go real world on it, I’d probably get two pickle jars, glove up, dump a little grey into one, a little black into the other, treat, cap and then dump my tanks.

Then, let the jars sit in my wetbay sealed until the next time I dumped my tanks. To me, That would be a better representation of what your tanks looked like inside, though your tanks would probably be slightly worse as you would have been adding to them over time.

I nominate you to tackle this one..
I’m not quite as inquisitive as you, good sir. Stinky stuff went down the hole is all I need to know.

@redbaron no double blind study?
placebo controlled even. I think several hundred specimens would be needed.:D

Actually, I don't have half the experience of most of you. However in the last five years in 3 RV's I have tried Several different chemical, Thetford, Blue Power, Happy Camper, Dawn, Cascade, the geo method, etc. Now I do not poop in my tank unless absolutely necessary.

In the RVs with sensors inside the tanks, it was very difficult to keep the sensors clean and reading accurately. I found Dawn to be the most effective agent. 1/2 cup in 1/3 tank of water at the end of a month sitting, and drive 50-100 miles. The cleaned the tank nearly 100% of the time. Next trip, dump and rinse. Voila! This is the only thing that seemed to keep the tank clean. When I took the previous one back to the factory for other repairs I had them address the non functioning (dirty) sensors. When I got it back they worked perfectly. When I ask what they did, they replied Dawn and 100 miles.

Now as far as odor goes, unfortunately, my urine is pretty stinky - love that garlic, etc. I now put a few thin lines of Dawn around the bowl on occasion, and use normally. Also, I have been experimenting with spraying the bowl on occasion, (a several of per tankful, with a solution of PineSol and water (~1:8). This is my universal cleaning solution.

Sometimes I add a little Blue Power if I notice a little odor - I like the bubble gum scent. This is very seldom. The large bottle lasts several seasons.

Needing real proof of efficacy, my toilet now passes the ultimate test. Open flush valve and get real close and sniff. I am happy to report no odor. My holding tanks are dumped every 3-5 days depending on water usage.

Also, no struvite, which I did see using the chemicals.

Last edited:
I am going to do a 7 day peanut butter test once I finish this next jar off. That is about as far as I will go with this.

I mix them up. I'll put in Dawn and then go drive to the next campground and when full drain the tank. Other times I'll put in Cascade, do the same after recently dumping the tanks then drive and let it fill then drain. I do both black and gray. Remember this is going into a 40+ gallon tank so I'd say I'm putting about 2-3oz in. Not excessive. I don't need bubbles filling the coach while driving :) I know @MapNerd listens to Lawrence Welk while driving and may enjoy the bubbles.

I mix them up. I'll put in Dawn and then go drive to the next campground and when full drain the tank. Other times I'll put in Cascade, do the same after recently dumping the tanks then drive and let it fill then drain. I do both black and gray. Remember this is going into a 40+ gallon tank so I'd say I'm putting about 2-3oz in. Not excessive. I don't need bubbles filling the coach while driving :) I know @MapNerd listens to Lawrence Welk while driving and may enjoy the bubbles.
I listen to Bob Ross episodes. Bubbles are just happy little accidents.

I can't believe you have seen bubbles . You are not supposed to use the entire bottle.

By the way too much Dawn dries out the seals on the dump valves. A little food grease is good for these.
I lubricate them periodically with WD40 SILICONE.

Bubbles. I just don't know.

Latest resources

Back