Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Has anyone followed the Pioneer Trails to the West Coast?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Joe Hogan

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4311
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Thought it might be an interesting trip to follow one of the Pioneer’s route to the west Coast.

1710972189476.png

Thought it might be an interesting trip to follow one of the Pioneer’s route to the west Coast.

View attachment 23191
We have followed bits a pieces or the Oregon Trail, the Sante Fe Trail a bit of the Mormon Trail and some of the Chisholm Trail. We were pretty disappointed that Independence really did not have a great museum. The most interesting point was "The Jump Off". Casper Wyoming has has a good museum and not too far from there is Independence Rock. The best, in our opinion was in Baker City where the museum is excellent and the trail ruts are still visible. Just an FYI, if you do go to Baker City, the Civic Museum is great as well. There is a bit on The Birth Place of Airstream Trailers, (Not into musicals but I remember they have a bit on one that Clint Eastwood stared and sang in one that was filmed there) and they have a rock and mineral collection that the Smithsonian wanted to acquire.

I recommend the journey! Photo is The Jumping off Point in Independence. Sorry it is so poor.03 01 November 01 2019 Oregon Trail Jump Off, Independence  Missouri.JPG

Only the highlights!!!
Can you follow them in a MH??? The stories are quite something! For such a short period the devastation for families was unbelievable!!!

Part of the California Trail goes right by my property. The name has changed a couple times
but some of the original trail is still in evidence.

A couple tidbits! Did you know the only times the wagons went single file was in the movies and through passes?

And

did you know that independence rock was named as such, because if they didn't make that marker by July 4th they would likely freeze to death before getting to their destination?

A couple tidbits! Did you know the only times the wagons went single file was in the movies and through passes?

And

did you know that independence rock was named as such, because if they didn't make that marker by July 4th they would likely freeze to death before getting to their destination?
We were pretty disappointed with Independence rock as well. Sadly it has been, in our opinion, desecrated with graffiti and is now fenced off. What is wrong with people?? It is still well worth visiting though.

Darrell

We were pretty disappointed with Independence rock as well. Sadly it has been, in our opinion, desecrated with graffiti and is now fenced off. What is wrong with people?? It is still well worth visiting though.

Darrell
It has been years since I was there last! I would hope most of the signatures you found were by the settlers who left their mark there.

They signed it so if they never made it, their families would know they made it that far.

When I was young I lived in Lander, down the hill to the north of South pass! At that time no interest in historic preservation existed. I had never heard of the rock while there. Only found out about much of the history when I went back to visit in my 60's.

We were at a museum north of Canyonvill Oregan and the guide said one of the most sought after items out there at the time were children's shoes,as they walked most of the time saving weight on the wagon's. They would walk the soles off their shoes!

Latest resources

Back