Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
In my 2017 Newmar Ventana with a Cummins ISL 9 (400 HP) I had an issue with oil consumption, having to add oil every few months. When on the rack at HWH for Active Air install I noticed wet areas which may be normal or not but my peers I asked if they had to add oil and the answer was no. So I took it to Cummins in Dec 2018 and they replaced the oil pan gasket, a one day job and in Mishawaka (however it's spelled) they have 50A hookups so staying overnight was easy. The oil consumption issue was fixed.

During my big winter trip starting September 1st I noticed oil dripping on the pads at each CG. Very little but it was noticeable and I certainly didn't want to be dirtying up CG spots. If I knew I was keeping this coach forever I probably would live with it as the risk of having something fixed far outweighs this slight oil issue, or so I thought. Last thing I wanted was to have to fix this out of warranty in order to sell it so I went to Cummins Tucson to have it diagnosed. They put die in the oil and determined the head gasket needed to be replaced. They said it would be a 7-10 day job which I didn't want to do at the time so I left. I figured when I get home in VA I'd just have it done there and not have to deal with a hotel room, etc. I was surprised when Cummins Tucson tried to charge me $300 and I said no, it's under warranty and was released. Later I got an email telling me to pay the $300 as they did the diagnostics but not the repair, I said no. I called Cummins corporate to see if I was getting taken advantage of they said no, if you were to have Cummins diagnose it and then get it repaired somewhere else is the why behind that. Okay, well I had intention of getting Cummins to do it so I just let it go and I was never asked again.

As I'm near Tucson in Casa Grande I figured I'd give Tucson Cummins my business and have them replace the head gasket while under warranty of course. It was a bit confusion because the service guy said whether they'd pay for my hotel would be up to the manager yet when I spoke to the manager they said Cummins never does that (I should have asked Freightliner and think I may need to do so as I write this, never occurred to me). So I would have to eat the cost of the hotel but made my reservation for 5 days. I boondocked on the street outside of the Cummins facility Sunday night to give them the keys at 6 AM Monday morning (sketchy part of Tucson!!) and asked them to please have it done by Friday, i.e. 5 days as I'm paying a lot of money both for my CG site I left and will return to and also a hotel and meals and $25/night for the dog. Long story short they got it done in every minute of that 5 days, it was a massive amount of work and the tech did a great job working hard.

I left Friday evening around 5:30 PM and had to make the 1 hour drive back to Casa Grande hoping I wouldn't be on the side of the road which I expected after disassembling everything around the engine to do this job. I'm happy to report I made it back, no leaks, no lights, no explosions, no rapid evacuations (which I was prepared for, kept my wallet in my back pocket and had a plan). The weird thing is if Cummins found any parts needing replacement such as belts, etc. I would have to pay for that. I told them no, it's under warranty with FL, they told me they don't work with them, I'd have to work that out. Weird. There was one issue but later they figured out the part problem and didn't need to replace one thing so in the end I didn't have to deal with that.

The cost of this job if not under warranty would be an estimated $7K. Apparently this is common in the ISL 9's per the tech as Cummins used too thin of a head gasket which they later improved, however, mine has a defect as you can see in the picture and was not a "too thin" issue but an actual failure in the head gasket. Notice the raised area.

Interesting to see how they access the area in the Ventana by removing the rear radiator, once that's out seems like they have great access.

IMG_1541.png
IMG_1542.png
IMG_1544.png

Ouch, @Neal, sorry to hear this. I'm glad you finally got things sorted out and the head gasket replaced. That is, indeed, a major job on our "beasts of burden." Maybe you need to think about moving the Ventessex purchase up a bit; 2021 perhaps?

I've always been a little leery of the dual warranty situation between Cummins and the chassis builder (Freightliner or Spartan). It is too easy for one to point the finger at the other and vice versa.

TJ

Glad all worked out, sorry it cost you money.

Agree with @TJ&LadyDi. Dealing with dual warranty issues I sit here in Avondale, Arizona. Hydraulic pump is attached to the side of Cummins engine but not covered by them, it is Spartan that wanted it. Spartan is covering under warranty but then came Spartan doesn’t ship parts overnight at their expense. I asked Cummins to please request overnight shipping as I didn’t want to sit in their parking lot for 3–5 days and if they weren’t successful I would be calling Spartan and Newmar requesting either party to cover overnight shipping cost.

Spartan stepped up and covered the cost for overnight shipping, will know for sure tomorrow.

When does the warranty run out? Three years from Date of Purchase? Sto that means my warranty is up in July. I think a few people have bought a warranty extension from FL? Thoughts?

When does the warranty run out? Three years from Date of Purchase? Sto that means my warranty is up in July. I think a few people have bought a warranty extension from FL? Thoughts?

We extended FL warranty for our 2017 DS. Cost to have extended to 5 years and 7 years on the axles was approximately $1700. It is transferable but not refundable upon sale of coach. Yes it is based on date of purchase.

I think...but, am not totally sure...that the warranty runs from the date of manufacture rather than the date of purchase. You might want to check.

TJ

Found info when I did the extension, not the late fee.

C
1583186459184.jpeg

Based on your current mileage + estimated annual mileage/usage, I would recommend the 60 Month / 100,000 Mile Coverage for your Axles, Chassis, & Towing/Roadside Assistance. Here is the current pricing offered.

Please note that your Chassis was originally placed into service on 07/27/2017. As of 01/14/2019, your chassis has been in-service for 18 months. Once the Chassis exceeds (18-30) months, FCCC charges a mandatory 25% Late Registration Fee up to $400 Maximum. Once the Chassis has been in service for over 30 months, extended coverage is not available to add. lease take that into account when selecting a date to add your desired coverages.

When you count the Newmar warranties, you have six major warranty periods (not counting appliances, etc.) to be concerned with; at least, if you are on a Spartan chassis.

1. Newmar coach limited warranty - 1 year
2. Newmar structural limited warranty - 5 years
3. Spartan chassis transferrable warranty - 3 years/50,000 miles
4. Spartan frame rail warranty - Lifetime
5. Cummins engine warranty - 5 years/100,000 miles
6. Allison transmission warranty - 5 years/200,000 miles

Oh, and Spartan includes a 40,000-mile service/towing package through Coach-Net as part of its overall warranty.

Freightliner likely has similar arrangements with Cummins and Allison, but I am not up-to-date on that aspect.

TJ

If I am reading this right the extension for FL is only for FL specific chassis items and roadside and not the engine that can be extended out 60 months or 100K miles for roughly 1700.00. I am wondering if the existing extended warranty I already have which is 5 years or 50k miles would cover the chassis as well.

I will have to check that. @Neal, how many miles on your Ventana?

I will have to check that. @Neal, how many miles on your Ventana?

About 32K and under 3 years. I don't think Cummins see's the FL warranty, they only see their own warranty which as stated above is significant, 5 years and 100K miles. I'm pleased that she's tight now, no leaks and I can continue my life long relationship with my Ventessex as I love her, she is good to me, she's all I "need" as there is no "need" for a new coach ever. However @NWIP I'm envious of yours and that does not help! That 2020 DSDP is a beauuuuuute!

Latest resources

Back