Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Hello! Can I ask advice here about route for RV trip?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Michelle_4444

RVF Regular
Hello RV'ers! In August we'll be renting an RV for the 2nd time (i.e. we're not totally new to this but have only been on one 6-week RV trip outside of the USA), so I have some questions about our planned itinerary for a 10-day RV trip starting in LA, through Grand Canyon and ending in Las Vegas. Not sure if this is the place to ask route-related questions - can I ask here?

Ask the questions. We always have opinions.

This may sound old school- I still go to AAA to get trip-ticks. AAA also has some points of interest information.

Thanks Kevin, opinions is exactly what I want! :)
And sremle indeed memories, I remember the trip-tick days!
My question is regarding a dilemma we have about the best route to get from LA to the Grand Canyon. We're planning a 10-day RV trip in an RV rental (25 ft, AC in both the driver & living area) we're picking up in LA on day 1 and returning in Las Vegas on day 10. We would like to get to the Grand Canyon as quickly as possible to have as many days as possible in the national parks (Bryce, Zion, etc.) and less on the desert road, especially in the August heat, however we're not sure whether the quickest route is logical in terms of driving time.
Here are the 3 route options we found:
Option A (2 overnight stops on way to GC): LA-->(2 hr drive) Palm Springs-->(4 hr drive) Lake Havasu City-->(4 hr drive) GC
Option B (1 overnight stop on way to GC): LA-->(2.5 hr drive) Barstow--> (6.5 hr drive) GC
Option C (1 overnight stop on way to GC): LA-->(6 hr drive) Lake Havasu City-->(4.5 hr drive) GC

The main question is whether it's logical to drive 6 hours in one day in an RV? If not, we'll have no choice but to add an additional overnight stop on the way. Also any other possible routes or stops on way to Grand Canyon?

Thanks,
Michal

Actually, the best sub-forum would be here:

I’m sure the Mods will move the thread for you.

I’d suggest RV Trip Wizard and have some fun! We’ve gone through that area several times but always with a big Class A, so our route would be a bit different. For example, we can’t go through the tunnels out of Zion.

But we love the Williams AZ side, and have gone from that area to Vegas using 93. But you’d be coming south from St. George area on 15 so not much other choice.

The summer heat in that entire area is unavoidable; I was in 113° in St. George, only to hit 118° along the way south through Vegas.

My confession! I know little about rentals. I thought part of the idea was to avoid the unpleasant, by renting where you wanted to visit! Guess I don't know so much.

Summer time in the desert just turns my stomach, just thinking about it! And I am close to your intended path!

If I had my druthers I would rent a Phoenix based RV for what you are planning.

Latest resources

Back