Question Hello + Water tank issue!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
As far as capacity goes...
Many manufacturers rate the additional capacity of the water heater in their claimed figure. Never mind that it requires water from the fresh water tank to push water from the water heater and that that water is unrecoverable unless drained. I have had this discussion with RV dealer service managers who had difficulty understanding the concept.
My capacity was stated at 66 gals, the fresh water tank is 60 gals so the 6 gals in the heater is included. I added an additional 34 gal tank to extend boondocking time.
Cheers

Gronk, Thanks for that info.! I never thought of that.

J&JD, I hear what your saying, very insightful! I would imagine that it is possible for a full tank, but we try not to put more than 5 to 10 gals. when on the road.

Lunge, We're in the same boat. I would be happy with a "Loss" of 6 gal. Instead, I have a loss of 18 gal.

Last edited:
I don't know your layout but my coach has a rear kitchen and the FW tank is in the underfloor below it. It was fairly easy to add an additional tank in the space below the kitchen sink and run a 1/2'' reinforced poly line to the vent tube of the original tank. The new tank has a separate fill station identical to the original but higher on the coach outside opposite wall. I can fill it and then when the factory fresh tank gets to 1/3 capacity, I open the valve and it drains into the factory tank. A completely passive system and contents are visible from the inside of the coach. There is a photo of the install on page 2 of the gallery. It does add a bit of weight but I accounted for that when I performed my brake and axle conversion by moving the axles rearward and closer together.

You might also consider that during the drive the tank might have siphoned some of its contents through the overflow tube. Many of us have had that problem and have had to redo/reconfigure the overflow system. Some tanks have been known to lose half of their water just moving from one park to another.
I have had this issue with mine. The tank vent is too low or something and it will actually siphon water out of the tank if I over fill the tank and get it started out the vent. It just keeps on syphoning water out. I bet I lose 10-15 gallons.

Latest resources

Back