Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Tbwatson06

RVF Newbee
Hi there! I’m brand new to this forum and soon to be travel trailer lifestyle. I am looking for recommendations on two separate topics:
1. What brand of travel trailer to purchase?
- We are currently considering the Heartland Mallard M26 double axel (32 ft). We need to stay within 6500 lbs.
is this a reputable brand? Seems like from what I’m reading, every manufacturer is suspect and they all fail at some point. From what I understand, we need to be looking at axel weight maximums, add a generator, replace tires shortly out of the gate, and likely add another AC unit. Just looking for advice from those who have real experience with the campers.

2. Planning a trip out West from TN to Grand Tetons National Park, Yellowstone, etc. What app should I look to use to help me plan a trip for travel itinerary, camp ground reservations and safe roads for travel trailers? I’ve been looking at LOTS and not sure which one is the best. Any other recommendations would be helpful. I realize I might be late in the game for a trip this summer…need to start planning now though for whenever we do go. We’d love to go this year if all the starts align - late June/early July.

I appreciate in advance any commentary/advice.

Here’s a couple to get you started. Sorry I can’t help with the rv.

One thing to keep in mind is DO NOT use the dry weight of any trailer for calculations. Use the GVW (on the side of the trailer) for deciding what you can tow. Also, a salesman will tell you you can tow "anything on the lot". After all, Toyota showed they can tow the space shuttle....... Don't believe them. You will never tow the trailer at its dry weight. Use the GVW and then figure 12% for the tongue weight and see if your truck has enough payload to handle that plus the weight of a hitch, driver and passenger, pet(s), and everyting else you want in the truck.

I would suggest that you look real hard at any large trailer claiming to be lightweight and how it is constructed, especially the flooring. For a few years now, manufacturers have been skimping on flooring material by using foam layers and them minimal sub flooring. You notice “bounce” in the flooring when walking down the center. Unfortunately, by the time the issue becomes major, warranty is up and the owner is looking at a major repair cost. I’d ask a lot of questions first.

I am planning the same trip from Massachusetts. Start NOW. I made reservations in Nov for Yellowstone and was only to book 3 nights in early June at Fishing Bridge Campground in the park . I did find other campgrounds in the area outside the park and was able to book them. They fill up fast.

Latest resources

Back