Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rolandj

RVF Regular
So I’m getting ready to leave Sunday going Over everything and went to start the generator it fired then just spun. Upon examining pulling the starter out the gear was off the starter. I’m wondering where I can get a new starter I believe that looks like it has a spring and a plate in between it. I ordered one on Amazon that should be here tomorrow to see if that’s it any recommendations would really be appreciated

Here’s a pic of the one I have

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
Good luck with that!! :oops:

Yah! look for a Cummins Onan parts/repair shop. When that happened to me the plastic part that looks like a cage broke. 70 bucks later I repaired the starter and worked like gold.

I went thru 2 starters till I got one that stayed together. Wonder if this is an inherent issue?

I went thru 2 starters till I got one that stayed together. Wonder if this is an inherent issue?
I won't repair any of my 3 Onan generators anymore. That should tell you what I think of them.

hmmm maybe time for a different generator !? any recommendations ? If i decide to do that haha

hmmm maybe time for a different generator !? any recommendations ? If i decide to do that haha
I don't make suggestions for such things. I will tell you what I do/did. I started carting a 2000i generator. Wonder why so many older RVs have a basket with generator hanging off the back? Today I cart a 3200i in the pickup bed, for back up only. I guess I use it more in the summer than winter for A/C.

Most of the time today I use 2000w of solar to keep up 600A at 24v battery bank. Use generator to run A/C if I move to the desert to soon. Most Full timers that boon dock do a variation of what I do. Few justify .5 gallons of fuel an hour for their Onans that sit idle. Many do without much in the way of power, I can't do that.

I don't make suggestions for such things. I will tell you what I do/did. I started carting a 2000i generator. Wonder why so many older RVs have a basket with generator hanging off the back? Today I cart a 3200i in the pickup bed, for back up only. I guess I use it more in the summer than winter for A/C.

Most of the time today I use 2000w of solar to keep up 600A at 24v battery bank. Use generator to run A/C if I move to the desert to soon. Most Full timers that boon dock do a variation of what I do. Few justify .5 gallons of fuel an hour for their Onans that sit idle. Many do without much in the way of power, I can't do that.
Awesome thank i have one of those so i will be taking it with me to have a spare . Thanks

Latest resources

Back