None yet.
RV Model
None yet
RV Length
Looking at 24' - 28'
Fulltimer
No
Hi you all out there,
When I say here we go. I mean here we go. The wife and travel a lot kids and dog. Some time for no reason all. When I have time off. We decided to get a travel trailer. Size and what we need was first, then what would like to have. What we're pulling it with and a possible down sizing in towing rig. Question is whats the best one out there. Funny part is all reads turn out the top 10 best are the 10 worse. So I have a feeling its like buying a car new or used. I'm I right ? Is there a real differences ? Which one's to really stay a way form. Thst's what we like to know.
Fixit01

Best thing to do is to go look at travel trailers. In person. You will very quickly learn which brands are "cheap" and which are quality. Pay attention to fit and finish. Also look at materials used. After you look at some trailers THEN look at your budget and see if you need to add to the budget to be able to buy a quality trailer. Also look at floor plans. Get one that will work for YOU and your needs. You can change a lot of things if you need to but you can't change the floor plan! Lastly make sure the trailer you buy is the right size for your truck to pull. I don't know if you would want to change your truck too so be careful. Pulling a trailer too heavy for the capabilities of your truck can be dangerous!!

Best thing to do is to go look at travel trailers. In person. You will very quickly learn which brands are "cheap" and which are quality. Pay attention to fit and finish. Also look at materials used. After you look at some trailers THEN look at your budget and see if you need to add to the budget to be able to buy a quality trailer. Also look at floor plans. Get one that will work for YOU and your needs. You can change a lot of things if you need to but you can't change the floor plan! Lastly make sure the trailer you buy is the right size for your truck to pull. I don't know if you would want to change your truck too so be careful. Pulling a trailer too heavy for the capabilities of your truck can be dangerous!!

Best thing to do is to go look at travel trailers. In person. You will very quickly learn which brands are "cheap" and which are quality. Pay attention to fit and finish. Also look at materials used. After you look at some trailers THEN look at your budget and see if you need to add to the budget to be able to buy a quality trailer. Also look at floor plans. Get one that will work for YOU and your needs. You can change a lot of things if you need to but you can't change the floor plan! Lastly make sure the trailer you buy is the right size for your truck to pull. I don't know if you would want to change your truck too so be careful. Pulling a trailer too heavy for the capabilities of your truck can be d

Hi EZ,
Loads and trailers I understand. I drove OTR and as a light vehicle to extreme heavy equipment mechanic/ transporter. Current rig is Ram 3500 SRW cummins 425hp at 800+ ft.lbs.tq. with jake brakes, stock ride with air bags and sway bars. Plan on getting weight distributing hitch. Looking at once kids done with sports and high school. May down size to half ton and want to keep the same trailer. All other items you mentioned have been already been taken into consideration. I have an RV dealer near by. They have changed hands a couple of times. My last visit there they carried Jayco, Grand Design and Winnebago Motor Coaches. The lot was full of Jay Co trailers all different sizes. Only a few of the other in which were not able to look at because they were sold. I do live 2hrs. from RV factory central Elkhart, Indiana. I could spend a week looking at trailers there. As far size goes we found a 26ft. bh with murphy and sleeps 8 in Jayco under 6000 lbs. But it seem to be cheaply made No steel plates in critical areas like wheel wells to protect from blown tires. Or shocks on the axles to control bounce and rebound. Removeable skid plates to cover the tanks. Tires can be an other story. There has to be some brands out there that have these things in place. Or don't they and I have to add them my self. I do know that all this adds weight and changes things. As far as used trailers go we are not looking farther back than 5 or 6yrs. Also looking for something in between. Am I over doing here ? Is there a brand that come close to it ? If so what are they ? I do thank you for all your input and advise.

fixit01

Hey Fixit01!
I'm not going to be any good at giving specific advice on which brand of travel trailer is best because I wound up buying a used low mileage Class A from a widow after her husband died. So, I don't own a travel trailer. But it sounds like you're on the right track. You can just LOOK at some campers and see how cheaply they are made, right? They don't even hide it! Keep looking until you find a brand or model that looks like good quality to you, then see if you can put it in your budget. Looks like your truck will handle almost anything you buy. Good luck!!

EZ,
Are looking at class A motor coaches ? If you are, then stick with the ones built on a medium duty truck chassis, with air brakes, diesel. Like a school bus or bigger. All the others are stretch framed 350 - 550 truck. Usually built at max GVWR. It will barely have HP to go or Braking power to stop. They also very top heavy. When you load them with all your stuff and gear you will be over weight. Then add your tanks. Generator and other fun stuff. If you travel lot with they end up with a lot brake work. That gets expensive really quick. The MPG isn't that great either. I think I painted good picture there. The smaller ones that are conversion vans or decked out box trucks are a mixed bag of tricks. Some are pretty good. The gas one do use a lot a fuel. Diesel is better there and aftermarket up grades for everything else. When or if you do up grades. Start with brakes first. Stopping at any cost is important. Then transmission, then engine. Exhaust brakes and jake brake are added bonuses. Saves big money on brakes and added braking power. This comes from experience. Hope this helps you out and into the future.

fixit01

Latest resources

Back