• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RodeHawg97

RVF Newbee
Fulltimer
No
Howdy everyone! I joined this forum because my wife and I are planning to buy a travel trailer in about 6 months when we retire and need to learn much about RV life before we make any purchases. What is important to have when you're expecting to be on the road for weeks at a time? What isn't important? We hope to spend most of our time at rustic campgrounds on a lake or river to do some fishing and relaxing so we'll probably need a generator and fuel. Anyway, we have lots of questions and much to learn from all y'all.

Welcome! Floor plan is most important. You have to love your "home" when on the road.

Welcome from the Hill Country.
Howdy everyone! I joined this forum because my wife and I are planning to buy a travel trailer in about 6 months when we retire and need to learn much about RV life before we make any purchases. What is important to have when you're expecting to be on the road for weeks at a time? Tools and a credit card What isn't important? That will come with time. Make your initial outings close to home and even consider camping in your driveway for a few nights We hope to spend most of our time at rustic campgrounds on a lake or river to do some fishing and relaxing so we'll probably need a generator and fuel. If you intend to boondock, camp with no hookups, you will need solar or a generator. Fresh water and holding tanks will need to be closely monitored. Texas has some great state parks Anyway, we have lots of questions and much to learn from all y'all.

Howdy everyone! I joined this forum because my wife and I are planning to buy a travel trailer in about 6 months when we retire and need to learn much about RV life before we make any purchases. What is important to have when you're expecting to be on the road for weeks at a time? What isn't important? We hope to spend most of our time at rustic campgrounds on a lake or river to do some fishing and relaxing so we'll probably need a generator and fuel. Anyway, we have lots of questions and much to learn from all y'all.
Welcome aboard. You are going to find that this place has a ;lot of pretty friendly people. There are many well informed folks that are willing to share their Knowledge as well as offer an opinion or two as well.,

Neil's advice on floor plan is well advised but storage space will become important too if you are planning extended stays, You will need to learn that minimizing and conservation will play very important roles. How big are your holding tanks? Some RVs are designed for weekend use, others are built for extended use. Look into the terns "lite" as opposed to regular. And most important make sure you tow vehicle will be able to haul you and your load safely.

As well as a "quiet" generator, I would suggest you look into solar as well and perhaps a cell and wifi signal boosters.

Good luck.

Darrell

Welcome to the forum. Pay attention to tow capacity of you tow vehicle, don’t over load it. Towing in flat country is easy, up hills, stopping and sway are factors with towing.

You will figure out your needs along the way. The things you use at home you will likely use on the road.
There are no perfect RVs, all will have some issues. A tool box for the road is a must.

Good luck and Happy shopping.

I would like to expound on "floor plan".

The things to consider.

If it's open and airy you won't have useful storage space. If you have a bunch of storage space, it will be clostrafobic!!

If you have all kinds of windows, you won't be hanging things on the walls.

The more windows, the harder to keep warm,or cool.

In my opinion corners are useful! And if you choose a center walk through design the corners are eliminated(what I don't like about my 5th wheel).

While on the subject of 5th wheels! If your tow vehicle breaks down, you can rent a vehicle and tow a bumper pull trailer. Not so with a fifth.

Going full time!!!

Pull trailers can be towed with a box van! The advantage of a place to store things organized is huge. The large roofline increase the possibility of using solar panels for power. The van can be parked out of the shade, and the trailer in the shade!

BIG! Is against your own heart! If your vision of lazy creekside camping is your dream! Low hanging branches, and more remote would most certainly cause damage, should your yourning get the best of.

I'm new here too. Welcome. We are going the motor home route but share many of your reasons to get started on this journey.

Hi and Welcome to RVforums. Take time to determine your desired layout. Must have and nice to haves. Once rig is found then start looking at the what you need on board. One thing I did when I set up our coach for the small appliances and utensils was to purchase the same ones we had at home. This eased the familiarization period. Make your first trip very local even in the driveway to see how it all works.

Latest resources

Back