Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Recall Hit the fuel rail leak recall trifecta today!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
The recall notice from Cummins arrived in today’s mail. Last week, I got fuel rail leak recall notices from Newmar and Spartan. All referenced the same NHTSA recall No. 21E032.

The big difference in the notice from Cummins is that it said they have developed a fix and to take the coach to “the nearest Cummins Distributor or authorized Warranty Dealer to arrange to have the campaign performed on your engine.”

Cummins says they will “correct this condition by inspecting the rail threads and, if damage is found, replacing the rail and fuel lines. If no damage is found, new crush washers will be installed in the rail assembly using a special tool.” It says “The repair will be completed free of charge and most applications will require approximately 2.5 hours to complete. In the meantime, Cummins advises you to periodically check the fuel rails for signs of leaking and seek repairs if leaks are identified. If a leak occurs, the operator may see or smell diesel fuel and, in some cases, the check engine lamp may illuminate.”

Glad to see that someone has finally stepped up and taken ownership of this problem. Fortunately, the service center that is currently working on our engine issue is also certified for Cummins warranty work, so I’ve asked them to take care of the issue as well.

TJ

I had the recall done this morning. From start to finish I was there about four (4) hours. I think they did the majority of the work from inside the coach through the engine access hatch. They did do some work from the back and underneath but maybe that was just checking for leaks.

I had partially removed the engine hatch (the tile part) and all they had to do was remove a couple bolts from the actual metal cover underneath the tile. That way there was no chance of breaking the tile or damage to the inside of the coach. This was a suggestion by @redbaron

Attached is a picture of the fuel relief valve which I think is where they put the new washers. It is on the end of the engine closest to the front of the coach on the passenger side. So I’m glad that’s behind me.

Attachments

• Fuel Valve.PNG
    Fuel Valve.PNG
    9.8 MB · Views: 32

Latest resources

Back