• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Hitting the bullseye blindfolded

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Actually it does come with the territory which it why it helps to be good at what you do. Im finishing up my fifth decade in emergency services and throughout my career, Ive always camped. From to time to to time I’ve run into most of the stuff you seem concerned about and have made adjustments accordingly. I still enjoy it, perhaps now more than ever.

I guess my question for you is, what are you suggesting? I was first in on a plane vs house where a teenage kid died in his bed with an airplane on top of him. Are you suggesting we‘d be better off if we all stay home, or are you just venting after some unpleasant experiences?

I would venture to guess most reading this (likely everyone reading this) have tales of camping woe (I have plenty), but it doesnt stop us from living the way we choose, and I hope it doesn’t stop you either. Sometimes it takes a while to find one’s niche, but its usually out there.
There are star ratings for almost everything. But no star rating exists for customers, consumers, RVrs, truckers, motorcyclists etc. It is not a "point"! RV sellers are not going to put a RV buyer on a "character" treadmill. However as well the state DOT offices are not making up a "RV character test either. What each state should do is publish the carnage available to the public that taxpayers endure the personal and public damage RVers cause. National and state parks, nature and animals suffer hugely from over saturation of humanity. People complain about gas prices yet far too many have gas hogs and they drive excessive speeds. This is not a display of individual right. It is a collective national issue of mass humanity causing too many problems. Like an over stuffed cruise ship of crazy people. No one is screaming ENOUGH already! This planet is not a party planet. The RV world needs to CHILL!.

The RV world needs to CHILL!.
I don't get it. Read it all twice. A summation maybe?

How would I, as a member of the RV world, "Chill" exactly? As you put it. Some easygoing camping and relaxing is what I see as chilling. That doesn't seem to fit.

We've experienced the cringe worthy camping experiences, but have never thought to stop our lifestyle because of others.

The long story:
We were staying at a state park recently and were enjoying ourselves. We struck up a conversation on our walk with a guy, I'll call Joe, who was very friendly. As we were talking he starting getting too friendly and asking specific questions about us like, what city are you from, what kind of coach do you own, where do you work... I stopped at that one. We remained friendly and went on our way.

Later that evening Joe stopped by our campsite while we were enjoying the campfire. He seemed very handsy in his fast-paced speech. He began to unload all his life... all of it. We are genuine people (or try to be), but we let him talk and the more he said the less it connected. We are not sure it was all BS or if he really was hurting. Several facts did not agree with statements, not did his statement agree as the length of time passed. His story kept changing, and we both knew it. The wife could not take it any longer and left the conversation as soon as he started asking for money. Yes, the sob story (real or not) culminated in begging. Mind you, his speech and body motions reflected someone who was not balanced and calm.

We were both uneasy at the encounter, but gave Joe $5 for the morning coffee he said he'd be happy to receive. We thought his pleasure at $5 odd as he bragged at making $250k the year before.
I should also mention that there was only one other motorhome in the campground, and it wasn't Joe's. Joe was tent camping, and he said that's where he was living at the time. It could be true, but wasn't adding up because there is a strict 30-day limit on camping, and Joe said he's been there for 45 days.

We did not like the exposure or intrusion of our camping experience. Judge me a a snob, but we were both uncomfortable staying at that empty campground. We made reservations to complete our week camping 100+ miles away, and pulled camp the next morning. We traveled to the next campground, paid extra (still holding the original site), and put an awkward situation behind us.

Joe's behavior and body language were major red flags. I won't speculate, but we did not feel that $5 was enough to keep Joe from coming back for more. I like talking with other campers and hearing their story, but I had to draw the line and take action to separate from the opportunity we presented.

We are looking forward to camping in a couple weeks. We are not going to change our lifestyle because of negative interactions. We will adjust and plan accordingly. Be flexible and maintain safety.

tldr;
We moved when we felt uncomfortable with other campers. We still camp.

Hmmmmm
LIFE is a JOURNEY!
WE should ALL ENJOY THE JOURNEY!
Statistics be damned, I will not change my life nor lifestyle because of statistics!
If I die tomorrow, it will be a life well lived, and an enjoyment to have been able to "pass thru"!
God Bless EACH & ALL!:cool:

In ALL motor sports (activities), most mishaps are a result of going too fast. So if we simply slow down we can avoid many problems. Secondly, we are to be aware of our surroundings... if we heed a teaspoon of caution we can enjoy the activity we like with little chance of catastrophe. So SLOW down people...I think they used to say "stop and smell the roses..." 😉 Blessings

We've experienced the cringe worthy camping experiences, but have never thought to stop our lifestyle because of others.

The long story:
We were staying at a state park recently and were enjoying ourselves. We struck up a conversation on our walk with a guy, I'll call Joe, who was very friendly. As we were talking he starting getting too friendly and asking specific questions about us like, what city are you from, what kind of coach do you own, where do you work... I stopped at that one. We remained friendly and went on our way.

Later that evening Joe stopped by our campsite while we were enjoying the campfire. He seemed very handsy in his fast-paced speech. He began to unload all his life... all of it. We are genuine people (or try to be), but we let him talk and the more he said the less it connected. We are not sure it was all BS or if he really was hurting. Several facts did not agree with statements, not did his statement agree as the length of time passed. His story kept changing, and we both knew it. The wife could not take it any longer and left the conversation as soon as he started asking for money. Yes, the sob story (real or not) culminated in begging. Mind you, his speech and body motions reflected someone who was not balanced and calm.

We were both uneasy at the encounter, but gave Joe $5 for the morning coffee he said he'd be happy to receive. We thought his pleasure at $5 odd as he bragged at making $250k the year before.
I should also mention that there was only one other motorhome in the campground, and it wasn't Joe's. Joe was tent camping, and he said that's where he was living at the time. It could be true, but wasn't adding up because there is a strict 30-day limit on camping, and Joe said he's been there for 45 days.

We did not like the exposure or intrusion of our camping experience. Judge me a a snob, but we were both uncomfortable staying at that empty campground. We made reservations to complete our week camping 100+ miles away, and pulled camp the next morning. We traveled to the next campground, paid extra (still holding the original site), and put an awkward situation behind us.

Joe's behavior and body language were major red flags. I won't speculate, but we did not feel that $5 was enough to keep Joe from coming back for more. I like talking with other campers and hearing their story, but I had to draw the line and take action to separate from the opportunity we presented.

We are looking forward to camping in a couple weeks. We are not going to change our lifestyle because of negative interactions. We will adjust and plan accordingly. Be flexible and maintain safety.

tldr;
We moved when we felt uncomfortable with other campers. We still camp.
Start this out by saying I'm not a snob, but:
Had a fifth wheel park next to us, faded almost down to the fiberglass cloth, pulled by a ford f250 that was rusted out up to the doors and 3 different colors. NY plates. I'm thinking wow they drove that all the way to florida?
I'm running the sanicon dumping my tanks and the woman's little dog got past her and she had a broken ankle. So I caught the dog for her, the guy was gone. Almost stepped in a pile, they guy would tie the dog up outside and then pick up after maybe once a day...

We were getting ready to leave, I asked her how long they were staying, she said she didn't know as her husband wasn't having luck finding work. She told me how much trouble they'd had, had blown tires out in Pennsylvania and been stranded for a few days and other things.

I felt sorry for them, they were as old as I am. I noticed the guy came back with a 12 back of busch light about every day. I had 6 coors lights I didn't want to haul with me so I asked her if her husband would want them. She said No thanks, he's pretty particular about his beer!

Another funny thing. I looked out the window and asked my wife Is that what I think it is? She says What? I said isn't that a hospital toilet chair sitting on their patio? She starts laughing and says Yeah that's exactly what it is. A chair with a toilet seat you put a bedpan under. I'll never get over that.

How would I, as a member of the RV world, "Chill" exactly? As you put it. Some easygoing camping and relaxing is what I see as chilling. That doesn't seem to fit.
Simple, if the shoe fits, wear it. You Tube has plenty of excellent and bad camper experience.

Simple, if the shoe fits wear it. It's a throw of the dice. Some campers just need to camp in there back yard. Too many John Candy characters. Ask the wildlife. Oh No! not them again. Just my luck! Geez! here come that 60 footer right next to my 10 footer. Don't look Ethel, here come the Smiths quick lock the door and turn the tv off. Whew!
PS, end of tirade:)

Latest resources

Back