RV Model
RAGE'N 19EX
RV Length
19'
TOW/TOAD
2020 FORD F150 ECOBOOST
Fulltimer
No
Greetings, I am having issues with hot water on my camper. It has the Girard GSWH-1M tankless water heater , it runs on 12v and propane. I bought the camper used, and everything was to be in working order ( which considering the immaculate condition I really didn't have any reason to worry), anyway the water heater didn't work on first outing which was totally on solar and no AC power, we had generator but weather conditions didn't call for using airconditioner, ect. Anyway, no hot water, could hear it kicking on but never lit. Upon troubleshooting at home it seemed to work fine after tearing off cover and such to get closer look. I figured maybe a loose connection or something that got remedied by taking apart, put back together worked fine, after getting some tips on you tube for settings. Next journey out no hot water, and we were on a campground service with city water hookups and AC power. Investigated at home and got same result as before at home testing, it worked fine, and at home it was tested with using water pump onboard with fresh tank and city water hook up, worked on both. Also, may mention at home it was plugged into AC power. This last weekend we went out for first run this year, (on 12 volt power no services) and yep you guessed it, no hot water. I tried purging multiple times on all water and propane devices, but nothing changed. Finally as a last ditch effort I went ahead and connected to my generator, fired up on first try. I ran it few times, then took off generator and lost hot water. WHY? it has no connection to AC, my battery power is high 12's to mid 13's when I was attempting off the generator, same pump for water pressure, ???? Has anyone dealt with this scenario or had these issues? Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Any change in the sound of the pump when no 115v power?

Might find an answer here. Guess there is a blower on this unit so check the sail switch to. Also looks like elevation may be an issue.

I bought a clearance camplux a few years ago. I have it stored, wasn't very happy with it. Your post reignited interest after looking up your unit. I wondered if my unit also had a parallel heat exchanger,and it doesn't, so that wasn't my issue. Gonna give it another try!!!

These units can demand 13+ volts to work and also they need high water flow to turn on. Had a unit that would not work until 2 faucets were turned on. Flow sensor. I am not sold on them yet.

I would check the voltage at the hot water heater, to ensure that it is seeing power while on battery and isn’t wired to a circuit that is only powered when there is shore/generator power.

Any change in the sound of the pump when no 115v power?
No sir, same tone and seems to be same pressure, I have not come up with a way to test the pressure yet, i'm sure there is some trick to pull that off. Thanks for your link in other reply, greatly appreciated.

Latest resources

Back