Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

matt4sure

RVF Regular
My house battery functions perfectly, taking a charge from both the 110v land & the generator. However it won't take a charge from the chassis. Its a 2015 Coachmen Class C and was built to charge the house battery while the engine is running off the alternator. I've checked everything; large buss fusses and "battery charging" solenoid check out. I bypassed (hot-wired) the solenoid and started the engine and it began charging the battery. So that leaves me with the small yellow wire connected to the solenoid, this wire must energize the solenoid to close the circuit. That has to be my problem. How do I problem check that? Does that wire go to the convertor or directly to the alternator? Just to clear up this solenoid I'm talking about is only for the house battery.A0924F70-3680-4048-9F1E-62C9C39DC13D.jpeg

I would change your charging solenoid with a newer BIM (Battery Isolation Manager). They come on 160 or 225 amp and a special one for 225 amp lithium batteries. They are more efficient and control charging of both house and chassis batteries. My Hurricane34j came with a 160 amp standard BIM. It works great with my complete system. Was able to add 2-210 watt solar panels and upgraded the solar controller to a 30 amp dual battery controller. Charges both house and chassis batteries. Along with the other charge systems.

I would change your charging solenoid with a newer BIM (Battery Isolation Manager). They come on 160 or 225 amp and a special one for 225 amp lithium batteries. They are more efficient and control charging of both house and chassis batteries. My Hurricane34j came with a 160 amp standard BIM. It works great with my complete system. Was able to add 2-210 watt solar panels and upgraded the solar controller to a 30 amp dual battery controller. Charges both house and chassis batteries. Along with the other charge systems.

I figured out that the solenoid is not being energized. The yellow wire that supplies the charge to the solenoid to close the circuit is not sending a charge. I'm hoping someone knows where this wire goes. I've checked two different fuse boxes and can't follow the wire as it is lost in the wire harness.
Thank you for your tip on the BIM, but I'm looking for a quick fix of the factory install.

I figured out that the solenoid is not being energized. The yellow wire that supplies the charge to the solenoid to close the circuit is not sending a charge. I'm hoping someone knows where this wire goes. I've checked two different fuse boxes and can't follow the wire as it is lost in the wire harness.
Thank you for your tip on the BIM, but I'm looking for a quick fix of the factory install.
Ok that wire may go to the chassis ignition system. You may check the chassis fuses also. My coach a Hurricane34j has 4 fuse boxes or more, scattered all over the motorhome. Two of mine are under the panel in front of the steering wheel. Another is out under the hood. And another in the bedroom. You may want to check where your converter/charger is. I had a wire come loose under my bed in the bedroom where all my electric is located.
hope you find it soon.

Latest resources

Back