Question How expensive is it to RV?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Well said gibsito,

Rving can be very expensive or very inexpensive, depending on your preferences.

In this older thread you will see both HIGH and low budget options. Start from the beginning and read a few posts. You will be amazed how much you can spend or KEEP!

Last edited:
The RVIA published a study that proved RV travel is cheaper than other options...ya right.

In my view, this was a study performed by the RV industry for the RV industry. The most laughable and misleading comparison was Class A motorhome travel example where they concluded the Class A was cheaper to travel in compared to, now get this, 1st class air travel and hotels. Certainly not an apples to apples comparison.

As stated above, the answer to the question of can you save money by traveling in an RV is, it depends. Some save money and for others it's a preference.

I really fault the RVIA for stooping to misleading people who are considering an RV for their travel needs.

The RVIA published a study that proved RV travel is cheaper than other options...ya right.

In my view, this was a study performed by the RV industry for the RV industry. The most laughable and misleading comparison was Class A motorhome travel example where they concluded the Class A was cheaper to travel in compared to, now get this, 1st class air travel and hotels. Certainly not an apples to apples comparison.

As stated above, the answer to the question of can you save money by traveling in an RV is, it depends. Some save money and for others it's a preference.

I really fault the RVIA for stooping to misleading people who are considering an RV for their travel needs.
So, travel vs. Fulltimer!

I boondock. I grew up watching family travel in cars loaded with camp gear! An analogy to what I do towing along my home, but I don't leave the house behind, the way they did. They worked harder in setting up camp than I do, but could go much greater distances on the same buck! As they traveled they visited family and friends, who opened up their home to them, and would visit, many times till way into the night. I miss those days! I remember when my uncle stopped by and visited in there MH. The visiting was much shorter, and left me wanting!

I live in trailer spaces not to much more expensive than the house payments they made in the day, but my car is a truck!!! Economy is out the window! For the short distances I travel, the fact I take my home with me, I can figure savings based on no house payment + taxes not paid! My cost of Living, is much lower being a full-time RVer, but I am not as they say, traveling. When I do, I disperse camp so amenities aren't much different than the way my grandparents traveled!!!

Bottom line! The DP can't travel over the water! Can't even fit in many places I prefer to camp. It is easier to book a hotel/motel on the fly, so convenience is not a factor to consider! Fact is, even tent sites are hard to find on the fly! I find it less stressful to put in a long day in a car than in an RV. A motel is a fraction of the cost, when compared to most RV Resorts and standard maintenance/fuel spent in a day!

Cost of travel, should take into account all aspects!!! This includes convenience as it is one of the costs. I could likely even consider a new wardrobe for the trip cost, so Rather than risk bringing bedbugs home, trash my clothes, and save money over travel via RV.

Like what was said earlier in this thread, it is risky comparing costs of a hobby.

Free? Boondocking and Free RV Camping | Boondockers Welcome
Inexpensive : Camping on Public Lands | Bureau of Land Management

Less expensive but requires planning:

Expensive with attraction:
The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort | Walt Disney World Resort

Can be pricey but very nice
8 Best RV Resorts and Parks in Florida

We take 3-4 day weekends at commercial campgrounds and national/state parks. Not counting the food we buy ahead of time each outing will cost me from $200-700. Depending on how far we go and campground pricing. I don't count food because sometimes it's me and wife and others plus grandkids and other times us and two other family rigs so it varies pretty wildly.

Latest resources

Back