RV Make
Jayco
RV Model
TBD
RV Length
TBD
TOW/TOAD
2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD
I plan to become a part-time RV'er in retirement (less than 3 years). To plan, I need some advice? How much do you 💰spend💳 on average each month? I plan to purchase a Class A diesel pusher. Just operating expenses, not the cost of the RV (financing), food or insurance. I'm assuming operating expenses include: maintenance, gas, storage, site fees, tolls. Thanks in advance.

I don't think current cost will reflect prices 3 years from now!!!

I suggest you set your finances up the best you can, and set your plan in motion when you're ready!

You may be a bit early as Kevin mentioned as prices will change. It’s a good idea to look at the annual maintenance costs on a DP. I will step back and let the DP owners step up. I’m a planner so I think you’re good to start looking at this. Good luck.

I plan to become a part-time RV'er in retirement (less than 3 years). To plan, I need some advice? How much do you 💰spend💳 on average each month? I plan to purchase a Class A diesel pusher. Just operating expenses, not the cost of the RV (financing), food or insurance. I'm assuming operating expenses include: maintenance, gas, storage, site fees, tolls. Thanks in advance.
Don’t forget to include unanticipated repairs. Unless it’s under warranty you should budget for this as well. The amount will vary depending on age, condition, brand, complexity, etc, but it is a factor that may eclipse all the other items you listed.

Last edited:
And of course if you are a “normal DP owner” you will always be tempted to spend more than necessary to go above and beyond on preventative maintenance, do the best job possible on repairs, and entertain all manner of upgrades and improvements as the DP becomes more than just a recreational vehicle. You might be immune to all this but I wasn’t and my impression of most of the DP owners here is that they suffer from the same afflictions. Personalizing and upgrading often become as much a part of the “recreation” as traveling and camping.

Last edited:
I use a rough guide of $100.00 a day. Travel days are more expensive because of fuel, but then we spend less on days we are staying in the same spot so it evens out. If we find we are spending much more than that we book COE parks to bring the costs down when available. If your averaging 7-9 miles per gallon it is easy to plan expenses using an app for routes and campgrounds. I use Mudflap for finding stations with truck/RV lanes and saving money at the same time. I use RV Life Pro for planning and it totals your planned expenses so you have an idea for how much your going to spend when you add in your information for your unit.

Manufacturers typically have an annual maintenance program that covers typical expense. Add 20% for unexpected repairs. Should give you a good baseline.
While this may sound expensive, the annual maintenance done at Newmar for instance is very extensive and well worth the investment to make a reliable vehicle.
We average about 10,000 miles a year so timing works out for us.

Manufacturers typically have an annual maintenance program that covers typical expense. Add 20% for unexpected repairs. Should give you a good baseline.
While this may sound expensive, the annual maintenance done at Newmar for instance is very extensive and well worth the investment to make a reliable vehicle.
We average about 10,000 miles a year so timing works out for us.
I’m pretty sure I spent around $1/mile owning my coach although I was never brave enough to do any accurate accounting so maybe a bit more, but certainly not less. This includes everything coach related including fuel based on 12,000 miles/year , but not campgrounds, insurance, storage, tolls, and other travel related expenses.

My monthly operating expenses are mostly consumables amortized over the life of the item, not monthly.

Tires - 5 to 7 years
Oil change - prescribed intervals
Chassis/motor maintenance - prescribed intervals
Fuel cost - depends on daily miles driven and driving style
House maintenance - water heater, fridge, slide motors, batteries, 12v electrical, plumbing, awnings etc.
Site costs - too many variables i.e. boondocking, state /federal parks, RV resorts
Storage cost - too many variables, flat rate or by the foot?

Diesel motorhome ownership is far from a one size fits all scenario. Since you're 3 years away, start putting money aside now in a dedicated RV savings account because there's no specific formula for what monthly costs might be and somewhat difficult to predict component failure!

Latest resources

Back