Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Howdy Do Folks I am the "New Kid On The Block", and my name is Luis Javier Deakin.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Luis Javier

RVF Newbee
I'd like to start out by "picking your Brains", that is of those of you that unlike Moi, I'd like to call the real "True and Hardcore RVers!!!!!"; and, in doing so, perhaps you can give this here "Newby Buckaroo" some helpful and insightful education and advice about RVing it, and its Lifestyle.
Here's my brain picking question... Are you guys ready?!?!?!... We've got a 2016 Coachmen Prism, and for the most part, it runs and drives like a charm!!!! Knock on some good and solid Appalachian wood, right????
Well, just recently we've noticed this incessantly loud "chirping" sound, and it turns out it is emanating from the CO Detector's Alarm gizmo. I consulted and read the ForestRiver manual and accompanying literature that comes with this Puppy, like most good and Zealous Owners should, right????
It didn't give any iota of enlightenment or any good solid thing that anyone with half of a decent functioning and lucid brain could call it a resolution to this pesky issue. Have I lost any of you along the way???? C'mon stay here with me, cuz this here ride it's going to get sweeeeter and better!!!!!
I called those wondrous Gurus at ForestRiver, specifically the Coachmen and those that BZ themselves with everything "Prism", right. Anyhow, upon asking these kind Souls what could be the causal culprit for this pesky chirping, and HOW to beat remedy this; I was instructed and advised to "... check my batteries (not the motor, but the ones for the RV rig; which as you all know lie right underneath the entry steps). Okeydokey, no problem there Pardner! Then, he proceeded to tell me to "make sure that they're not LOW; cuz the CO Detector is connected directly to these batteries; so, that chirping sound you're hearing, it's NOT an actual Carbon Monoxide situation going on; cuz if it was, trust me Pal that sound would have driven you both right out of that Coach!!!! That's more like a warning sound letting you know that the levels (the voltage) in those two batteries could be getting very low."
I've spent a total of two whole precious and very dear God given days here in our local area trying to find a decent place that would check our batteries for us; finally came upon some Angels that recommended we try those folks at Beiter Battery here in Lake Worth Beach. We succumbed and heeded their advice.
What do you know?!?!?! Brad there tells me, looking right at my eyes, as if he could just send me some Laser to let my poor and feeble worn-out brain just soak all that in like some Brawny paper towel, right?! And, tells me, "Sir, those batteries are in perfect working order; matter of fact, they're better than good, cuz you see this?!?!?! Normally you should be here at 12 for the voltage, and as you can see, they're both well above it, coming in at a pretty decent 12.95 Volts.... That's good! Really good!!! And, here look at your water levels, usually the threshold is there at that mark; and, lookie here, you're well over at 595 and some change. That's just great!!!! So, moving forward try to keep your levels at about where they're now; check it about once a month or so, and you're a humming really good bud!!!!"
So, then I bewildered said, "so the batteries aren't what is causing that darn chirping sound????" To which he'd scratched his head for a few seconds and said, "no, not really, cuz I just showed them to you; you're going to have to call them back and explain that both batteries have been given an excellent health sign by us. Then, see if they can walk you through some steps to check for other possible causes for it."
Therefore, I am now coming to you Folks "The Real Solid RV Experts and Die Hards", that might just be able to offer us some great insights as to HOW TO CORRECTLY FIX AND STOP THIS DAMNED CHIRPING????
God Bless you folks! Stay SAFE out there, and like Wayne of "Wayne's World" (skit fame on SNL) best said it: "RVs and RV LIFE ROCKS DUUUUUDE!!! ..... YEAH, ROCK ON!!!!!"

Luis Javier Deakin
Devoutly Bowing To Those of You that can shed some decent light at the end of this Tunnel.

Wow, just wow......My head hurts.... so anyways, mine was chirping away and me being a tech and all, I replaced my fart detector(co, propane, hair spray, dog farts)....you get the picture. It ended up being the smoke detector on the ceiling and I was not able to place it until I disconnected the previously mentioned detector and it still was chirping. Mine needed a new 9v battery.....

We replaced our CO detector at about 5 or 6 years old. They do age out and the internal battery goes causing a chirping sound.

Once we replaced the unit the chirping was gone.

Based on the year of your RV that may be the cause.

We replaced our CO detector at about 5 or 6 years old. They do age out and the internal battery goes causing a chirping sound.

Once we replaced the unit the chirping was gone.

Based on the year of your RV that may be the cause.
Yah that was about the age that I took my CO detector out!!!
At that time I was using a generator, and figured those fumes seeping into my rig. . . Well I didn't want to know!!!

@Luis Javier I would second the thought that the CO detector may have or is ageing out. I had a propane detector chirp a couple times and I believe I was the cause by spraying some indoor bug spray around the walls inside the RV. Seems the propane detector detector did not like that. In any case I removed the detector to investigate and saw the sticker that indicated it had aged out. Again I don't think that was the cause of my event but I replaced it. My second thought is to verify just what all your detector will detect. Is it just CO? My thought is if it has is able to alert on multiple elements then perhaps it's actually detecting a trace of something. In any case trying to eliminate any generators of the elements it's designed to detect would be my thought for troubleshooting. i.e. if it's CO only shut off anything that has a flame and see if it resolves. If it does then reenable items one by one to find the culpret. Same approach if it happened to also be a propane detector, shut off the propane to the RV and see if it resolves.

I'd like to start out by "picking your Brains", that is of those of you that unlike Moi, I'd like to call the real "True and Hardcore RVers!!!!!"; and, in doing so, perhaps you can give this here "Newby Buckaroo" some helpful and insightful education and advice about RVing it, and its Lifestyle.
Here's my brain picking question... Are you guys ready?!?!?!... We've got a 2016 Coachmen Prism, and for the most part, it runs and drives like a charm!!!! Knock on some good and solid Appalachian wood, right????
Well, just recently we've noticed this incessantly loud "chirping" sound, and it turns out it is emanating from the CO Detector's Alarm gizmo. I consulted and read the ForestRiver manual and accompanying literature that comes with this Puppy, like most good and Zealous Owners should, right????
It didn't give any iota of enlightenment or any good solid thing that anyone with half of a decent functioning and lucid brain could call it a resolution to this pesky issue. Have I lost any of you along the way???? C'mon stay here with me, cuz this here ride it's going to get sweeeeter and better!!!!!
I called those wondrous Gurus at ForestRiver, specifically the Coachmen and those that BZ themselves with everything "Prism", right. Anyhow, upon asking these kind Souls what could be the causal culprit for this pesky chirping, and HOW to beat remedy this; I was instructed and advised to "... check my batteries (not the motor, but the ones for the RV rig; which as you all know lie right underneath the entry steps). Okeydokey, no problem there Pardner! Then, he proceeded to tell me to "make sure that they're not LOW; cuz the CO Detector is connected directly to these batteries; so, that chirping sound you're hearing, it's NOT an actual Carbon Monoxide situation going on; cuz if it was, trust me Pal that sound would have driven you both right out of that Coach!!!! That's more like a warning sound letting you know that the levels (the voltage) in those two batteries could be getting very low."
I've spent a total of two whole precious and very dear God given days here in our local area trying to find a decent place that would check our batteries for us; finally came upon some Angels that recommended we try those folks at Beiter Battery here in Lake Worth Beach. We succumbed and heeded their advice.
What do you know?!?!?! Brad there tells me, looking right at my eyes, as if he could just send me some Laser to let my poor and feeble worn-out brain just soak all that in like some Brawny paper towel, right?! And, tells me, "Sir, those batteries are in perfect working order; matter of fact, they're better than good, cuz you see this?!?!?! Normally you should be here at 12 for the voltage, and as you can see, they're both well above it, coming in at a pretty decent 12.95 Volts.... That's good! Really good!!! And, here look at your water levels, usually the threshold is there at that mark; and, lookie here, you're well over at 595 and some change. That's just great!!!! So, moving forward try to keep your levels at about where they're now; check it about once a month or so, and you're a humming really good bud!!!!"
So, then I bewildered said, "so the batteries aren't what is causing that darn chirping sound????" To which he'd scratched his head for a few seconds and said, "no, not really, cuz I just showed them to you; you're going to have to call them back and explain that both batteries have been given an excellent health sign by us. Then, see if they can walk you through some steps to check for other possible causes for it."
Therefore, I am now coming to you Folks "The Real Solid RV Experts and Die Hards", that might just be able to offer us some great insights as to HOW TO CORRECTLY FIX AND STOP THIS DAMNED CHIRPING????
God Bless you folks! Stay SAFE out there, and like Wayne of "Wayne's World" (skit fame on SNL) best said it: "RVs and RV LIFE ROCKS DUUUUUDE!!! ..... YEAH, ROCK ON!!!!!"

Luis Javier Deakin
Devoutly Bowing To Those of You that can shed some decent light at the end of this Tunnel.
Co detectors have a end of life.usually it chirps. 5 to 10 years depending on manufacturer

Yup internal battery in the detector. Its there to keep the detector working in the event that the hard wired power source (in this case house batteries or shore power) ever fails. Another example of trying in vain to idiot proof life. When the internal battery nears the end of its life, it chirps to let you know. If it was alarming that would be another story. So, replace the detector and then you can concentrate on your creative writting efforts in peace and quiet. Cheers!

Wow, just wow......My head hurts.... so anyways, mine was chirping away and me being a tech and all, I replaced my fart detector(co, propane, hair spray, dog farts)....you get the picture. It ended up being the smoke detector on the ceiling and I was not able to place it until I disconnected the previously mentioned detector and it still was chirping. Mine needed a new 9v battery.....
My German Shepherds confirmed that dog farts will set off CO/propane detectors.

My “trouble shooters” Angus and Lalka - Mississippi rest stop, Illinois side, east bound I-80.
FBC91671-4F3A-47E2-B2FC-21CAF310EF86.jpeg

I would take a look at the CO detector and google that make and model.
We recently had to replace a CO detector because it was chirping and also had a small led blinking a pattern that told us it was end of life.
Ordered a new one, installed it - no more chirping.

Latest resources

Back