• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Human waste bill?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
You might feel a little differently if the raw sewage was flowing into your front yard.

TJ

You might feel a little differently if the raw sewage was flowing into your front yard.

TJ

How is that? There should not be sewage from anywhere in your front yard.

How is that? There should not be sewage from anywhere in your front yard.
But there might be if you don't find a way to stop irresponsible people from dumping their sewage in the street! And, that will likely cost money to accomplish.

TJ

Sadly, this approach assumes that the homeless will want to properly dump their sewage. Unfortunately, many (if not most) are dealing with mental illness, substance abuse, etc. and aren't willing or able to follow rules and procedures. Seattle's homeless problems will continue until the root issues are effectively addressed.

TJ
The wizards that run our small town/county decided to buy a bunch of "syringe disposal" units to hang on the walls of the bathrooms located in the parks around the area. It never made much sense to me (but then again, my brother-n-law wasn't selling syringe disposal units) as the druggies out here don't care about proper disposal.

More wasted money.

Three should be harsh punishment for them, if such occurred, not tax for those who follow proper procedure. Too often good folks have to pay for the misdeeds of others, yet they march on free of charge.

Basic enforcement of existing laws should solve this issue. Dumping waste is not hard to find. Also, as others have stated, enforcement and provide a dump station that is local and available is a good solution. There are also existing tools to find local dump sites. This is all about changing behavior of the people who willingly break the law. Do not tax everyone else.

A couple of honey wagons still makes the most immediate sense to me to solve the most pressing sanitation need. A water truck could also pump fresh water into these homeless units.

I think if the city wanted to, they could address the immediate issue. Most people (homeless or not), given the resources and opportunity will do the right thing (like not dumping sewage in the street) in my experience. It’s when they are faced with a problem (such as a full black tank) they don’t have the resources or means to resolve on their own (like access to a dump station, tote tank or honey wagon) and there is no support to assist them with the problem that things tend to go down the drain - pun intended.

Again, the costs for these services could be charged to the registered owner of the unit by proxy of a citation or any other number of methods. If the unit is not registered, it should be towed away and impounded and eventually seized and sold or destroyed if not claimed within a reasonable amount of time. Cities already have infrastructure and services in place for handling that.

If the registered owner doesn’t want to pay those costs, they should move their unit onto some private land and out of the public area.

It would cost the city maybe a million for a few water trucks and honey wagons.

All I am saying is that the symptom (raw sewage in the streets) of the bigger problem (rampant homelessness and inadequate availability of mental health services) is treatable and while I am rarely a proponent of addressing symptoms rather than problems, this is a public health issue that the city needs to address because actually fixing the problem will take years of dedicated, concerted efforts - something government is typically not very good at sustaining.

All JMHO.

Last edited:
Odd to target something like that at RVs since tent camping/ car campers are even more likely to poop in the woods. Also, I have no idea about the stats but I'd hazard a guess that RVs with 'composting' toilets seem more likely to dump their waste in nature (on assumption it will biodegrade) than RVs with regular pipes. (But maybe just because there are more with pipes than composting toilets the majority is coming from traditional RVs). I also wonder about the actual hazard of black tank waste versus gray tank waste as far as damage to public lands, as I suspect gray tank waste may be just as or perhaps even more harmful to nature, but of course they can both be dangerous.

Last edited:
Odd to target something like that at RVs since tent camping/ car campers are even more likely to poop in the woods. Also, I have no idea about the stats but I'd hazard a guess that RVs with 'composting' toilets seem more likely to dump their waste in nature (on assumption it will biodegrade) than RVs with regular pipes. I also wonder about the actual hazard of black tank waste versus gray tank waste as far as damage to public lands, as I suspect gray tank waste may be just as or perhaps even more harmful to nature.
Not legal to dump black or gray in the woods. Is legal to empty a dish pan however, just not water that has been in the gray tank.
Composting toilets are not really composting toilets but rather dryers. The law says it is not waste until it hits the ground. Takes about 6 mos to compost properly. then should be tested for pathogens. Cat holes are legal in the forest and should be used by tent campers if they must. TP should be bagged and put in the trash.

Latest resources

Back