RV Make
Grand Design
RV Model
Transcend Xplor 221RB
RV Length
26'10
TOW/TOAD
2018 Nissan Titan Pro4X
I was not planning to buy one with the chains but due to availability when taking delivery of our RV, I had to. My hitch except different weight rating The dealer installed it. I didn't realize that the sway control is not built-in. My RV is GVWR is 6995 and I doubt it has had that much weight yet. Should I add the friction sway control bar? I really don't want to drill holes in the trailer frame but will if necessary. I have considered selling this one and getting one with built in sway control. Thanks.

I think that sway control is a feel good product. The one time I wished I had it, I did, and the sway control bar had little effect.
It's all about 10% tong weight more than anything else you do. Don't add a rack on the back of the trailer, and load right, and your rig will follow the way you want it to. Stay off the road when windy and gusts will not be a problem.

A properly set up trailer with weight distributing hitch should not sway! As has been said, keep your tongue weight where it is supposed to be and your hitch height correct, and you will be fine. Hitch height is an important factor. When parked on a flat, level surface, both the truck and trailer should be level. If not, you need to raise of lower the hitch to a point where everything is level with the proper tongue weight.

TJ

Thanks for the replies. I haven't had any problems but I'm a rookie so wanted to hear from others.

Watch a few videos on sway accidents and you can often see what caused them, BUT NOT ALWAYS. Load balancing is extremely important - too heavy in the rear of the trailer - extremely bad, too high of a load in the front can be almost as bad.
I just got done researching a bunch of different sway and weight distribution hitches. Everyone has their own opinion on these topics. I was looking for something that eliminated the typical creaking and groaning that most hitches have as a result of the friction used to prevent sway. Most are bars that slide on a stationary bracket/friction point. I also wanted to eliminate the lubrication most bars required that people complained got all over the place when storing the bars. Last but not least, I did not like the bars that used a pipe to cinch up the bars by lifting up. I have problems with my shoulders. Sway was my biggest concern. I looked at ProprIde and Hensley - supposedly the absolute best and to me they were great with sway, but far too complex and a pain to hook and unhook. I also looked hard at the Reese Straight Line but did not like the noises it made and the need to unhook the bars for tight backing turns. I settled on the Blue Ox Sway Pro. The only thing I'm adding to it is a good 24" breaker bar and socket instead of the provided wrench. The key to the Blue Ox is to make sure you jack the tongue up almost as high as you can get it to relieve the amount of chain tension to install or remove the bars. People that follow the rule of relieving the tension find them very easy and safe to use. Set up is everything on any load distribution hitch. I read some bad reviews on almost every hitch. Husky had more most.

Not to scare you but I don't buy sway control isn't needed. I rented a 20' single axle trailer - had the tongue height right and there was NOTHING in the trailer or tanks - it swayed at 65 MPH.

Speed is the biggest killer - especially downhill. High winds, rain, snow and semis passing can also trigger or destabilize a typically stable rig.

Latest resources

Back