• Commercial/Vendors welcome

I-5 through California

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Can't disagree with the above...some of the sections are disgraceful. California's budget allocations are embarrassing...

We travel the Central CA section of I-5 about six times a year. Sections of it are in (very) poor condition while the remainder is acceptable. Much of what has been discussed concerning truckers is spot on. In my opinion, YOUR travel speed dictates how to cooperate with the semis. Although the posted speed limit is 70mph, I like to travel at 65 mph...and bring up the cross winds or fog that much of that area is famous for and I may drop it down to 60mph. Truckers (usually) travel between 65-70 unless hauling produce (i.e., tomato transports typically go 60-65). Most agree that I-5 should be three lanes to give truckers two lanes to jockey for position. And if we used the billions of dollars spent on the "bullet train to nowhere", or some of our high "road taxes" we could have it...but alas; I'm singing to the choir 🤔 Just go slow and listen to an audio book because there isn't a lot to see! Blessings
To add to the consensus: We usually tag along with the truckers. We are normally never in that much of a hurry and as a bonus, we can usually get behind a rig that stays at consistent speed using is as a "windbreak". I helps fuel consumption in a big way.

And now, just an FYI. The speed limit on any highway in California when pulling a trailer (and a toad is considered a trailer) is 55! How am I aware? Of course I got a speeding ticket doing 65 on I 5 and yes, the Trooper was a jerk!! Speed Limits.

Darrell

I pulled my 38' fiver from Salem to Phoenix and I-5 in the right lane was full of chuckholes. Arizona had none of that.
Respectfully disagree. Just crossed Arizona on 40 and 17 down to Sedona. Many, many terrible miles of bad road. The stretch of 40 between Kingman and the California border is as bad as it gets. Every state (and I’ve driven all 50) have their road problems.

@J&JD. The news says the prices are receding again after a big spike? You are not seeing that in your travels?
Just finished a 3400 mile 7 week trip, Bay Area - Colorado- New Mexico- Arizona- California. Diesel was as low as $3.40 in Colorado & New Mexico. Filled up in Bakersfield last week @ $5.60. Used EFS card the whole way. Helped a bit.

Hello,
Concerned concerned about driving 40 ft diesel pusher pulling 20 ft trailer on I-5 through California. Concerned for safety and looking for advice.

Thank you in advance,
BB
This is an area that often experiences very high winds and this results in flipped RVs and tractor trailer rigs. Best to go early in the morning before the winds come up. You will burn less fuel as well.

I am curious where that happens as I drive I 5 quite a bit as far north as Eugene, OR and Indio,CA. I have never seen RV’s or trucks flipped over from windy conditions. It can get windy out there but I would have never thought it is enough flip a truck or an rv over.

I am curious where that happens as I drive I 5 quite a bit as far north as Eugene, OR and Indio,CA. I have never seen RV’s or trucks flipped over from windy conditions. It can get windy out there but I would have never thought it is enough flip a truck or an rv over.
X2,
Driven many times with no problems.

although durning the “fog season” extra precautions are definitely in order.

Latest resources

Back