• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved I think the time has come - 8 new tires for me

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Cool. My steer and drive tires were replaced yesterday and the centramatics were also added on. The tag axel will not be done until I got to NIRVC Atlanta in the coming weeks. A quick test drive went well today and everything seems to ride fine.

One note: Double check the size on the tag centramatic. As I have the same sizes for the steer and drive as you, but needed an 800-820 for the tag. They told me it was because we have a larger brake drum…. I called centramatic just now to confirm.

Rich
Whew. Thank you. I just called. Went back and forth but yes with the drum brakes on Tag it is 800-820

Awesome! Glad to have saved you a return!

Ordered online the Centramatics for the Dutchstar steer axle just now. Communicated with Brad at Florida Shores Truck Center to get the part numbers. Nice to have a relatively local retailer to order these items. Free shipping helps as well.

For reference:

Brad Brown
Parts Manager
Florida Shores Truck Center
Office 386-428-0841
Fax 386-428-0338
Cell 386-576-6016

[email protected]
www.flashores.com

Arrived today

centramatic.jpeg

That's a good start, now you have two more axles.

//enabler//

Apparently the Steer axle tires on the DutchStar are steer only tires….

Apparently the Steer axle tires on the DutchStar are steer only tires….
Since I'm in the market for tires as well, I had the Michelin RV Tire Guide handy and did a quick look up.

According to both Freightliner and Spartan websites, the tires used on the Dutch Star tag axle coaches are Michelin.

Front: XZA 365/70R 22.5
Rear: X® LINE ENERGY Z COACH 315/80R 22.5

The Michelin RV Tire Guide shows both of these tires as all position.

Here is the Freightliner spec sheet for Tag axle coaches.

Apparently I got bad data. Following your link and you are correct, all positions. Not sure what I was looking at on the Michelin website ??

Apparently I got bad data. Following your link and you are correct, all positions. Not sure what I was looking at on the Michelin website ??
Check your coach build sheet for actual as built info. The Michelin charts are what usage the various tires are approved for, not necessarily what a particular manufacturer speced and designed a coach around. Many coaches have multiple tire sizes as speced from the factory.

Stardate: 6 years and 4 months post in-service (June 2017). Some DOT dates are probably a year older. 59,300 miles.

Today the baby got new shoes. I'm happy to report all went well at Colony Tire in Richmond, VA. I bought 8 x Toyo M144 (305/70R22.5) with 6 installed (valves, spin balance, customer supplied centramatics installed on all axles) and 2 in the back of my pickup to go to NIRVC "Washington DC" Nov 15th for RettroBands and current fronts will move to Tag. Prior fronts went to tag as the tag had cupping issues, not sure the cause, but we'll see if centramatics prevent it this time around.

I asked for the tire pressures to be set at my prior values of 105 front 90 rears but I noticed as my TST TPMS immediately alarmed all new tires were at 120. I dropped them to 110 as I wanted to keep pressure high while they seat, if even a concern, but who knows, no expert here. After noticing my keys were not in the ignition I went in to get them and the installer mentioned to me that the Toyo's are rated for higher loads and I should consider higher pressures to keep sidewalls from overheating from underinflation, etc. So I need to get into the charts soon based on my most recent 4-corner weighing at FL Gaffney but as he mentioned, if the ride is good at 110, consider leaving them there.

The Toyo's look like monsters, I am impressed. The photo below looks like me, an aged out ole Michelin with not much tread left compared to a young spunky monster tire, the Toyo, but it is interesting to see what looks like a solid mean tire vs. the Michelin.

The ride was great, a little vibration starting at 62 mph so I emailed my rep to make sure they were in fact balanced but I don't know how good to expect a truck tire at highway speeds. The tread depth is twice that left on the Michelin.

And no, I couldn't get the two new tires in the back of the Colorado on my own, these things are heavy! But the guy that helped me showed me the trick, not like I'm taking them out of there and putting them back in.

Day 1 - impressed with the Toyo's, pleased with this decision. Final price for 8 tires, 6 installed, with a military discount I discovered when browsing their website was $5670! Probably half of what Michelin's would have cost me. So we got quarters left in the piggy bank for RettroBands and when all said and done probably under the Michelin cost which I estimated to be around 10K, not counting RettroBands.

I dropped off the coach around 8 AM, they were done around lunch time but I went got a nice Korean lunch and picked up around 2 PM. As @GlampDaddy said I have to show up for Newmar Hoots presentable that means she needed a bath now! So I stopped by the RV wash below that my storage lot owner owns, it's a touchless wash. Not expensive, and I was pleased with the service. If you're passing through Ashland, VA on I-95 and want a bath, consider stopping at this place. It is also a Harvest Host.

Edit: Yes, they smell like a cow pasture!

tires.png

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back