Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
As LadyDi was stocking up the freezer in the coach, she noticed a sheet of ice that had formed on the freezer compartment floor underneath the drawer. This is a Whirlpool 19.7 unit. The ice was not blocking anything, but seemed odd. I checked it out and it was about 1/4" thick at the center and thinner at the edges. It covered most of the bottom of the freezer compartment.

With the freezer drawer fully open, I could reach in and pop it loose with a thin blade tool. It came out quite easily and I wiped the bottom of the compartment dry with some paper towels.

Is this the cumulative result of condensation from opening and closing the freezer drawer over time? It would seem that if the ice maker was overflowing or leaking, the water would drip into the ice container or accumulate in the bottom of the drawer rather than down on the bottom of the compartment. I can't find any other reason for this other than condensation. Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts?

TJ

I think you’re probably on the right track. How long has the freezer had to do build all of that up?

Our Whirlpool did that in the first year. The ice build up continued and got so bad it threw the alignment of the freezer door off, making it hard to close correctly. Back then it was a known issue with a defective drain plug and/or line in the back.

We had to have them pull the fridge for Whirlpool to make a modification to the drain. As it turned out in our case when they got back there they discovered that they had left the blank plug or some other object inside and it had rolled around the blocked our drain tube. Anyway, they made the recommended change to the drain while they had it out and no more ice build up.

@TJ&LadyDi it's obvious there is a source of water, I've heard of this problem more frequent than I care to but it sounds like you have the answer above. Good news is you have some talented help that will be with you at Polson to help you get fixed up.

This is a common problem with those fridges,,,,,many youtube videos on it. There is a duckbill on bottom in back of fridge that gets clogged...mine was a mineral deposit of some sort. Take it off, clean it, and cut it to open it up a bit more. Never a problem again

I had this happen in our 2017 DS and decided to see if It was a recurring problem prior to modify the duckbill. We had had some work done and coach was supposed to be hooked up to shore power but wasn’t and batteries were disconnected. It took over a 2 weeks but the defrost gradually cleared it up and never came back as we full time.

Our refrigerator/freezer is in the FWS and I don't find any duckbill either under the slide or under the coach. Neither do I find any drain hole in the bottom of the freezer compartment. What an I missing?

TJ

Yup, have to pull fridge out. Duckbill is in the back of refrigerator atop the condensate drain pan

Last edited:
The best way to fix this is to take the duck bill off and put a p trap on ,look at more videos and you will see the p trap. They are cheep and on line.

Thanks, folks; now I'm headed in the right direction. Ain't it great to be around knowledgeable people?

TJ

Latest resources

Back