Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Headlights used in Newmar Motorhomes are for automobiles, they are not safe for driving at night. Lights are much higher up, driver is higher over lights. Please improve safety of your vehicles by using proper headlights such as trucks use, etc.

I know german cars have had some version of this here in US. ie headlights adjusting to the steering input. . This AHS is a step forward. Is this what you have been able to enable?

my before and after with these: HEADLIGHTS-H13-V6s Headlight Kit with H13 Bases 9008 (no fans). Before performing this little upgrade, there were times I wasn't sure my headlights we even on. I also added a remote spotlight to the roof ( Golight GT - GOLIGHT ) which is a big help maneuvering in campgrounds after dark. And lastly I put an LED flood/spot combo on the rear of the roof wired,to the back up light for night time backing. Major difference when you can actually see where you're going.

Attachments

• 07E8476C-69CC-45BA-ADEC-CEB372BF3C3E.jpeg
    07E8476C-69CC-45BA-ADEC-CEB372BF3C3E.jpeg
    1,006.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 7E2178AC-56CA-4BFC-B791-37D37A422B66.jpeg
    7E2178AC-56CA-4BFC-B791-37D37A422B66.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 113FFD61-CD2F-49B9-B02D-E3DFDB0B34BC.jpeg
    113FFD61-CD2F-49B9-B02D-E3DFDB0B34BC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
Pics of the Go-light and the flood/spot/flood I used on the rear. You can see the center 12 LEDs are spot type lights. Outers are the floods. Nilight 12Inch 72W Spot Flood Combo Led Light Bar Off Road Lights Boat Lights Fog Light Driving Lights LED Work Light for Trucks, 2 Years Warranty - $20 on Amazon and a decent quality light. Initially I was going to mount two on the rear but one provided plenty of light straight back and to the sides. I was going to buy extra bright LED back-light bulbs ( 3156-G12-WHITE PAIR 3156 Brake and Tail Light (Backup) ) but this completely negated the need.

I was getting some paintwork done at Newmar in Nappanee so I had them color match the go-light housing - a bit over the top I guess but they didn't charge me for it. I‘m pretty sure I’m the only one who would notice the difference but they liked the finished product too. This is the same roof mounted, remote controlled spot optional on the luxury units.

I never have to worry about obstacles or maneuvering in the dark when I get in late. This is a hige stress reliver. Also the Go-Light helps confirm tree clearance at night. And backing is just, well night and day, from before. The OE back-up lights are useless. And yes, I know - she needs a bath!

Attachments

• C631AE6C-2AF5-4637-8B13-B5D22C168DAE.jpeg
    C631AE6C-2AF5-4637-8B13-B5D22C168DAE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • 930B7405-02B1-44CA-953F-1CE6FB21FF8B.jpeg
    930B7405-02B1-44CA-953F-1CE6FB21FF8B.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • E2E2286C-8846-4744-B05C-97C5DAF3CAD3.jpeg
    E2E2286C-8846-4744-B05C-97C5DAF3CAD3.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 18
One reason we don't have adaptive lights here like they have in Europe is as Rd1 notes above, they just NOW got approved for manufacturers to use in US. Why in the world we are dragging so far behind I have no idea. I for one can't wait for everyone to be able to drive around with god-awful bright lights that DON'T blind the heck out me when I am approaching from the other direction.

I know german cars have had some version of this here in US. ie headlights adjusting to the steering input. . This AHS is a step forward. Is this what you have been able to enable?
Yes. BMW has had this in the LED head lights since 2015. the beams move left, right, up, and down as you approach cars either oncoming or from behind.

Here is a preview of it:

The software and instruction to encode it are readily available for BMW, Mercedes, and Audi.

OK can't resist to plug my hero, Elon Musk. He is the first automobile manufacturer to design a headlight that is capable to be approved in all countries around the world.

Did you know that headlamps designs are different and approved by each country around the world. There was a time pre LED that using European style headlamp was much preferred over "American" style headlamp reflectors. Used EU sourced headlamps for years prior to LED.

But Elon engineers have come up with a single design that can adjust for any market...Yeah Elon!! ;-)

I though that was what BMW has been doing already. If more simply. See post #10. Adjustable where applicable and simply disabled to comply with regulations in out of date countries. (That'd be us.)
BMW is pretty big on building a lot of features into their cars whether or not the car buyer gets to use them. The latest is factory seat heaters that won't actually work unless you pay BMW an extra service fee.

Latest resources

Back