Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I learned via @GUS2000 who I believe learned from @redbaron a way to improve the dash radio sound for those that like to listen to nice music either driving or at the campground. Obviously what Newmar installs isn't exactly cutting edge audio/visual tech, in fact the Clarion unit that came in my 2017 Newmar Ventana was a far outdated no longer sold obsolete heap of doodoo. It didn't take long before I changed mine out for a Pioneer unit, done by a local car audio shop that luckily also does RV work. They installed an amp and sub, I replaced my speakers, yadda yadda, it still wasn't up to par, for me.

So @GUS2000 months ago told me of new Focal speakers, I changed them, hmm, I had Alpine's I really liked, I'll try them. But my subwoofer was never really coming online, not sure why. So @GUS2000 tells me of this DSP/amplifier unit which I've had stashed in the coach for a while and never got to it and on my recent trip to EAA AirVenture, which I always arrive days early, I had time to install it.

It was not fun as I am not smart on this but I had to get smart and figured it out, wasn't that bad in the end. Simply had to add wires that go from the JBL DSP speaker outputs to the speakers, so essentially a redirect of the speaker wires, not that hard, but finding wire locally was a challenge. I then fired it up, it sounded terrible, hardly any audio, oh boy, I was upset thinking now I screwed it up and have to take it back to the car audio place who charges a horrendous labor rate when you don't buy the hardware from them and just fix your problems. I went and bought speaker wire I found at Advance Auto, no change, ugh!

What I knew is that you need to use a Windows laptop, which I have, to fine tune the system. What I didn't realize is that the JBL for whatever reason sounds like pure poo before making any config changes, maybe just something with my setup, I don't know. Long story longer I figured out the JBL software, made all of the required config changes and audio curves to my liking, and it sounds amazing. Obviously there is only so much you can do with two overhead speakers and a sub but my bass issue is fixed and it has a nice remote knob you can mount to control the bass without having to use the software/PC once setup.

I don't like offline info share, it doesn't help others to learn so I'm posting what I learned so others can consider if they need the same improvement. If you do a mod or something that improves your RV, please share on the forum.

jbl-dsp.png

Awesome!! great to hear you can hear the difference. (sounds like a good slogan "When you hear the difference".... it really is night and day!! key is closing the subwoofer panel and sitting in the drivers seat to make adjustments... :)

First drive with it today, mo'betta

Awesome!! great to hear you can hear the difference. (sounds like a good slogan "When you hear the difference".... it really is night and day!! key is closing the subwoofer panel and sitting in the drivers seat to make adjustments... :)
And of course a using Eminem for the tuning session:)

Eminem had our air fryer dancing on the counter lol

I think I'm going back to my Alpine SPR-50's - the Focal's are too bright (higher end of the spectrum) for me. Alpine's latest version of the above is the S2-S50 should anyone want to try. Far less expensive too, so I'll be selling my Focal's on eBay most likely.

Latest resources

Back