Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I'm no Sleep Number bed expert but I've been learning. I learned that when traveling to higher elevations deflate it. Then comes the techniques on how to inflate it. Do I need to be on it to deflate it? Do I need to be on it to inflate it? Come to find out of my recent experimentation NO and NO.

To deflate just setting the left and right down to 5 (I think that's the lowest setting) works fine, it deflates it.

I've found it actually works BETTER to not be laying on the bed when inflating it. For example I deflate it prior departure. I arrive at the next campground and I set both sides to 50%. I've found that this actually more uniformly and accurately inflates the bed. No groove in the middle per se.

Again, welcome to the West. My NA came from Indiana to San Diego for delivery. I discovered on delivery one cell was leaking. They obviously drove over the divide with the bed 100% inflated. When we were at AirVenture I talked to the Sleep Number representative. He confirmed no altitude compensation in the bed. In my experience driving to high altitude as long as the bed is inflated to less than 50 departing lower altitudes it will not pop the cells in the bed at altitudes up to 12,000'. A calibrated pressure release valve would solve the problem but it is not part of the design according to the company.

Yep, certainly have learned the tips on deflating prior to increasing elevation such as learned going to Angel Fire, NM with 8300 ft elevation and a rock hard bed. But the gist of my post here is more that you don't need weight on the bed to deflate it and secondly it seems inflations work better without weight on the bed.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back